Please don't allow anyone but me to update my opening balance

Options
Gerry Blue
Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭

On the rare occasion when my beginning balance mysteriously morphs and I have to rein it back in, you ask me if I'm sure I want to update my opening balance. That's great - I appreciate the heads up. But when the financial institution does it, you not only let them but you don't even have the courtesy to alert me that it's been updated and tell me what it was and what it is now. I'd really like to not have to solve this problem anymore.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this happens randomly with Quicken updates.

Our suggestion - is to go thru ALL your accounts and copy the Opening Balance amount into the MEMO field for safe keeping.
    then - when things seem messed up - a quick visit to the Opening Balance will let you know which one was randomly changed.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I'll do that. Still, when it comes to Quicken, it seems like solutions to apparent software defects is often left up to the users rather than the ones profiting off of the users who find workarounds to their defects. As a retired software developer, that seems lazy and uncaring. When I was working on applications and a defect in something I wrote was brought to my attention, I had a hard time sleeping until I came up with a fix.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It seems that as Quicken becomes more and more complex -
    for each change in a feature, there is an unintended butterfly consequence.
    YES - it is very frustrating not to be able to trust the Quicken software - tread carefully…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder whether setting a password on the opening balance would prevent this. Hard to test, for sure, since it only occurs randomly.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.