How can I change the way Quicken has credit card balances as negatives (black vs red)

Options

It used to be that my credit card balance was in black, a payment was red and the balance went from a positive number down to zero. I do not like the new way and I want to change it back. Is that possible?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think it changed. If your balance color changed it may be something wrong.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

A Positive (Black) Balance in a Credit Card Account 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your balance is black in a credit card it indicates that the credit card company owes you money, (you may have a payment/transaction that has changed the balance from negative like it should be to positive, which it normally shouldn't be.) This might have happened because of transactions that got downloaded/duplicated.

For a Credit card this is what it should look like:

Another thing that might confuse the situation is if you have the Amount field on. The amount field is meant take the place of the Charge and Payment fields in one column that has a signed/colored amount of the amount of the charge/payment, which takes less space than two fields.

Saving space:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Also, check if your opening balance changed. (Quicken occasionally does that by mistake)

• NHMom
    NHMom Member
    Options

Until Feb 1st, it was the way I described. I liked that way. I hate the way it is now. I don't care what the "correct way" is, I like it the way I've been using it for the last 30 years and I want it back. Is it possible to change/roll back the update?

• NHMom
    NHMom Member
    Options

Also Chris, I don't use either of the ways you've shown. I use charge, payment and balance. I never had issues and I was very comfortable with it. It made sense to me and I liked it. I do NOT like all the red at the end and the negative towards zero approach. Not even a little bit. I wish Quicken had given me an option. I would have rejected it, instead of changing something for "the better" unilaterally without taking into consideration what people have been using and are comfortable with.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NHMom All I can say is this "didn't change". It has been this way forever, with the except of the Amount column being added a quite few years ago and the ability to select which columns to show a few years ago.

Note that other account types look a bit different because they carry a positive balance instead of a negative balance and because they are in fact different account types (but that mostly just changes the column terms from Charge/Payment to Payment/Deposit).

Are you manually entering transactions (no downloading)?

This is the only way you can get a "black/positive" balance in a Credit card account:

Notice the amount is in the Payment field.

I can hide that a bit by doing it like this:

But that would result in this for "net worth / account balances":

Which means that I have an "asset" of $20 which is just plain wrong, this is liability of $20.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

here is my Chase card -
    the Charge and Payment are in black - as just a plain positive number -
    do you have a CHARGE column ?
    the Balance however is red - as in a negative increasing debt amount to be paid at some point -

How is the Quicken Account Type defined (Edit Account) - as CREDIT ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Options

well - sorry - don't know how or why it was working that way for 30 years - but it was wrong -
    if defined as a "Credit" account - Normal "accounting" works the way we all are showing you….

1 - Does the Quicken Balance reconcile with your Credit Card Statement ?

2 - Are you downloading credit card transactions - or entering everything manually ?

3 - Is the Quicken Account defined as Type = Credit ?

4 - What bank or type of Credit Card is this - Visa, MC, Amx, Discover, ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NHMom Can you post a screen shot of your register? And in case you don't have the register showing in Date order with the newest date at the bottom then click the Date Column heading to sort by date. And don't have any filters set at the top.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Options

@NHMom - waiting for some answers to the questions posted above
    so we can continue to help and resolve this mystery -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.