Bill and Income Reminders usability

Options
jodmarch
jodmarch Member ✭✭
edited February 16 in Display/UI

I have been using Quicken for 35 years. I have more than 50 of these reminders, but find this window very awkward to use, especially in light of the Quicken bug (Summer 2023) that corrupted all of these reminders, making it necessary to go through them all one by one. But it was awkward to use even before that. These suggestions are all about improving the overall reminder list, not about what happens after you open one of them for editing or entry:

1. A simple search filter would be very useful, just on the payee name. I realize that I can sort on payee name and locate it that way, but a filter would be quicker and more powerful. Think of the wonderful filter in registers now, which I use constantly.
  2. Please have a column showing the account into which the transaction will be entered. There's plenty of room for that and it would provide a useful sanity check.
  3. Every time I Edit a reminder, then close the edit dialog, the selection jumps back to the top of the list. This makes it extremely slow and awkward to go through a bunch of these, especially if they are at the end of the list. Please leave the selection where it was in the list, whenever possible (e.g. even if the reminder is deleted, leave the selection in the same position in the list.)
  4. Have a column to indicate whether the reminder creates an auto-entry or just a reminder. There is a big difference in visibility. I always use auto-entry, but it's extraordinarily tedious to check that they are all now set to auto-entry not reminder (after last summer's corruption.)

Thank you!

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume you are talking about the view available from the Tools Menu / Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

There are two views available, both of which have a Status column on the left, showing "Upcoming" or "Auto"

When using the Monthly Bills & Deposits view, the Status shows more options, depending on past, paid or still unpaid status. This view also shows the account from which the reminder will be drawn.

The Bill and Income Reminders view which I use most often is part of a customized Classic View page under the Home tab. It helps me with all my reminders, most of which are set to Remind me [xx] days in advance. Only a very few number of reminders are set to Auto Enter. This way I feel I have the best control over what needs to be paid and when.

Another view I frequently use is the Projected Balances view under the Bills & Income tab.
    With a little customization, this view shows me if a checking account is in danger of running out of money within the next 30 days.