Auto deposit reminder issue when downloaded early.

Options
Lou Meyer
Lou Meyer Member ✭✭✭

The following was reported to quicken today (2/17)

Issue: Social Security deposit Is set up as monthly auto deposit every third Tuesday. Set up with split categories reflecting Gross amount, taxes and Medicare deductions.

When Monday is a holiday, deposits are posted the PREVIOUS Friday. When deposit is downloaded and posted to account with date not matching Deposit Reminder and you select ACCEPT, you will get the expected “is this the deposit scheduled for MM/DDYYY “dialog. When the transaction is accepted, ALL categories and their splits are removed, and NET amount is posted an uncategorized transaction.

This has occurred in the last three months. Spouse’s Deposit is fourth Tuesday, so Christmas messed up that deposit while mine posted incorrectly due to Martin Luther King and this weekend due to Presidents Day.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Keep the reminder to deposit this transaction on the planned Due Date, every 3rd Tuesday.
    But change the setting to "Auto enter [0] days before" to "Auto enter [5] days before".
    This will ensure you have a valid register transaction already recorded when the download comes in.
    If the downloaded transaction does not match itself to the register transaction due to its early arrival and shows up in the Downloaded Transaction Tab with a Status of "New" then edit the register transaction's date to Friday and save it. This will change the status to "Match" and you can accept the downloaded transaction without ill effects on the Split categories … they're already in the register.

I had to do something like this because my Soc Sec deposit showed up on the 15th, a week early from the regular 3rd Wednesday.

• Lou Meyer
    Lou Meyer Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the work around. But TBT, this scenario will not occur until next January when the next Monday holiday occurs in the third or fourth week of the month for me or my wife. This really need to be addressed by Quicken. I've had this happen a number of times in the past and only today I realized what was causing it.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lou Meyer How is it you both receive SS payments on Tuesdays when everyone else gets them on Wednesdays? Is this a feature of your particular bank?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Lou Meyer
    Lou Meyer Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Do you use Direct Deposit??

Our Direct Deposits go in Monday night (and available Tuesday) for me and my wife. If Monday is a bank holiday, they go in the Friday night before the The 3rd (or 4th) Tuesday. The posting dates are Monday or Friday.

I have no idea why the go in early.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Yes, and our direct deposits always appear on Wednesdays. I actually suspect the SSA chose midweek Wednesdays to avoid most holidays.

What bank is this that posts them early?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

And to dig further into your problem, did you set up your SS deposits as Paychecks? We have seen reports of Paychecks losing split information. If that is the case, replacing them with regular Income Reminders might fix things.

• Lou Meyer
    Lou Meyer Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not set up as a paycheck. If it were ,I suspect this happens more often for folks that get paid on the 15th and last day of month if either of those days falls on a weekend or is a holiday.

This discussion has been closed.