Constant Balance Adjustments after Citibank authorization

Options
KC452
KC452 Member ✭✭

I use Quicken Classic for Windows. I did the recent authorization procedure for Citibank. I have two credit card accounts and a checking account. Ever since then there are balance adjustments required every time I reconcile. I've never had this problem before. I went back two months on all the accounts and compared the Quicken register to the account statements and they all match exactly.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Before proceeding, backup your data file. Then:

1. Delete those balance adjustments that you've entered.
    2. Sometimes when changing the connection method the amount of the Opening Balance transaction (the very earliest transaction in the account register) gets changed. You might want to try restoring a backup file from before when you reauthorized Citibank and see what the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount is that is shown there. Then compare that to what amount is shown in your main file. Correct the balance amount in your main file if it is different from what you saw in the restored backup file. (You might also want to enter and save that amount into the Memo field of the Opening Balance transaction in your main data file. It can be very helpful should this issue ever happen in the future.)
    3. If that did not resolve the issue: You said you reviewed all your transactions for the last 2 months. But sometimes when changing the connection method of an account there will be duplicate transactions entered going back as far as 3-4 months. So, expand your transactions review by another 1-2 months. Delete any duplicate transactions you find.
    4. If that does not resolve the issue: Review your register for a 2nd Opening Balance transaction that might have gotten entered on a different date and for a different amount. If you find one, delete it. (It will be the one that you did not enter the amount of the Opening Balance into the Memo field.)

If none of this resolved the issue: Are the Online Balance shown below the account register and the account register current balance the same or different from each other?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• KC452
    KC452 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for following up. First I did a backup restore, and I found a very large balance adjustment was inserted two years ago. I then remembered that when the new authorization method first popped up for me, the process was glitchy on the Citibank page. (It pulled up accounts I had previously closed, and some other things.) Then , a couple of weeks later, when I started a download, it asked for the authorization again. I then did a backup restore from Jan 1 this year, which I knew was before the whole Citibank authorization thing started. When I started the download on that, I had to do the Citi authorization again, but this time it went very smoothly - immediately identified the relevant accounts, and matched them to the right names in Quicken. I did the download and everything balanced to the penny. I'm guessing that some bugs were worked out along the way?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With most migrations to EWC+ from other connection methods, there are some issues and bugs. Most are resolved within a few weeks or can be resolved via various troubleshooting methods. It's good to hear that the issue is now resolved for you. BTW, after the initial Citi EWC+ issues I encountered, my Citi accounts have been reliably and accurately downloading every day.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.