Quicken not responding after Windows "Quality" update

Options

I have attached details for Windows 10 patch/updates I received on 2/13/24 (KB5034685) and 2/16/24 (KB5034763). Both times, when Quicken was opened, Quicken went to "not responding" in Task Manager. On 2/14/23, I first tried current "mondo" patch with no success, then un-installed and re-installed Quicken several times on 2/13/24 and again, no success. After reviewing further, I discovered I had received the first windows "quality" update dated 2/13/24 (KB5034685, cumulative update for .net framework….) so I backed that out and after rebooting, Quicken began responding as it should. I received another "quality" update overnight last night, dated 2/16/24 (KB5034763, cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 22H2…) and experienced the same "not responding" errors again this morning. I backed that patch out as I did previously, and once again Quicken began responding as it should. All seems to be working as designed, at the current time. I have created new backups of my Quicken data as a precaution.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue? I do receive automatic Windows updates but may disable for the short-term, to see if there are any updates/solutions identified by Quicken.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had similar response with Quicken after getting these Windows updates but I simply rebooted my laptop (leaving the Windows updates installed) and Quicken then responded normally. I did not do anything with my Quicken installation.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Kenneth Johnson
    Options

Quicken has been very unstable in recent history. Today I could not get it to run at all. I verified and superverified my file. I installed the most recent mondo patch and Quicken still hung up.

I did uninstall the Windows KB5034763 as noted above and Quicken seems to be working normally!

I have the same question as annetteward5 above. Do I have to turn off Windows updates? Will I not be able to update Windows in the future without screwing up Quicken?

• Jeanne S
    Jeanne S Member
    Options

Annetteward5:

I think I have the same exact problem and I'm glad I found your post. Very helpful. I have not been able to use Quicken since these quality updates. I have turned off Window updates. Everything on my laptop is working normally.

But, for some reason, I got an error message that it was unable to uninstall the quality update! :(

This discussion has been closed.