When Importing a QFX file (apparently) random categories are not imported.

Options

I am trying to merge multiple accounts from an old backup into a current file. (More details later) In a restored copy of the backup I strip out all transactions that I don't want merged. I then export to a QFX file. When I import the QFX file, new accounts are created as expected in the current file. Most of the transactions import as expected. Most categories appear to import correctly, but for many transactions the category is not imported. I created a list of the failed categories but don't see a clear pattern.

Here's what I observe:

• All the failed categories are sub-categories. Although other sub-categories succeed.
  • All transactions in the source file with the failed category fail to import the category.
  • All the failed and successfully imported categories existed or were created in the target file.
  • There are other pre-existing sub-categories in the Category.

How I got here is this:

1. I started my Quicken file about the year 2000. I have been rolling it forward since.
  2. Sometime after the beginning of 2010, I apparently did a End of Year copy with a start date. (That's the only explanation I can infer)
  3. Sometime in 2021, I must have decided I didn't like the results of the End of Year copy and tried to merge the pre-2010 transactions from a backup I had that was made in 2010 into the 2021 file. The import of the transactions was partially successful, but most of the categories of the imported transactions where placed in the Memo field. (I have no idea how, and I left it that way.) It looks like the QIF import was only into my main checking account.
  4. Now I'm attempting to clean up the mess I (apparently) made. I am only dealing with Banking transactions, The Investments are correct to the best I can tell.

I have omitted some of the details of how I modified the accounts in the backup prior to exporting as QFX. So, my questions at this point are:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions about what is wrong with the failed sub-categories. I can't see anything from the Categories List.
  2. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this other than to manually add the missing sub-categories in the transactions.

Those that recognize my Username will see that I have been struggling with this for awhile. I certainly appreciate your help. It has been invaluable.

This discussion has been closed.