error messages after one-step update "you need to select accounts to export", etc.

Options

I am using Quicken Classic Deluxe on a Desktop PC with Windows 11. Quicken version is R54.16, Build 27.1.54.16

I did a one-step update today.

After I do the one-step update, I get a red error message that says "you need to select accounts to export" under Services updated. I do not track investments on this account, although I did in the distant past.

It also says unable to update bills. I click on the link "Bills" after the message and it brings up a screen that says Last updated Feb 14. It lists all of my bills I have setup, which are all manual payments. What is it wanting to update?

And it says 39 of 45 quotes and investing headlines updated. I clicked on See a report and unchecked all the options, but don't know why this started doing this in the first place?

These message have started recently.

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@CMCaldwell these messages indicate that certain items are checked for update during a one-step update (OSU).

Do an OSU. If the password box appears, instead of entering your password, hit "Skip". You should see your OSU Settings with the list of Financial Institutions. Under Online Services uncheck all of the items you don't want updated.

Here are some items you might see -

• Download Quotes
    • Update Bills
    • Update Investing.Quicken.com

Just uncheck any or all items you do not want updated during an OSU. Doing this should also prevent the error messages from showing.

More importantly though, we need to determine why these items are suddenly showing up. You might also want to check some of your settings.

• Download Quotes - check your Security List. Uncheck "Download Quote" and "Watch List" for any Securities you do not want priced.
    • Update Bills - In your Checking Account(s), check the Online Services tab in Account Details and make sure that "Quicken Bill Manager" and "Bank Bill Pay" both say No for "Online Bill Pay". You may only see one of these items listed, if so, that's okay.
    • Update Investing.Quicken.com - go to Edit→Preferences→Investing.Quicken.com Portfolios. Hit "Clear All". If you do not have an "Update Investing.Quicken.com" menu item, then that's okay, nothing needs to be done.

The most important thing is to uncheck those boxes under Online Services, to prevent them from updating during an OSU.

• CMCaldwell
    CMCaldwell Member ✭✭
    Options
    1. OSU: nothing is checked for securities or bills
    2. Download quotes - Security List: I deleted all securities and still get the message. It says: 39 of 45 quotes and investing headlines updated. See a report. 7/8/2019 1:06 pm
      1. The report shows a list of 5 securities with the security name of 0 and nothing checked. (I use to track securities years ago, but have not in years.
    3. Update Investing: I do not have an Investing.quicken.com option on my preferences.
    4. Update Bills: I have never used quicken to pay my bills. I have bills entered with reminders set, and manual pay. I do not have any options for bill pay on any of my checking accounts - online services tab.

After taking all of the above steps, this is was I get on the bottom of my OSU summary:

When I click on the "See a report" for the investing, I get this:

I have no idea what "You need to select accounts to export" means. It does not have a hyperlink.

When I click on the Bills link, I get this at the top of my screen.

Then there is a list of my bills. All of which are setup as manual bills. Odd that the date is showing up at the top as Feb. 14.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@CMCaldwell - have you done a validate or super validate on your data file? It looks like you might have some issues with your data file.

Validate:

1. Click on File on the Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Super Validate:

1. Click on File on the Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

I am not positive that this will correct your situation, but it seems like you have too many issues going on to point one cause, except maybe data file corruption.

If after the data file validation, the error persist, then I would recommend contacting Quicken Support https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

They can guide you through some other troubleshooting steps that might provide a solution to your issues.

In the meantime, I am hoping some other users in this forum might have some suggestions to resolution.

• CMCaldwell
    CMCaldwell Member ✭✭
    Options

Finally called technical support. My file was corrupted. We got it fixed.

I've been a quicken user over 25 years. I have had corrupted files many times. Why I don't know. But I believe it has to do with file size. At least that's what one technician told mme.i keep 7 years for tax purposes.

This discussion has been closed.