One Step update not downloading all transactions into RBC chequing account.

Options
BigSpender69
BigSpender69 Member ✭✭

Hey people.

I reported this bug already to Quicken support so I decided to post this as a heads up for all of you out there. Maybe some of you are encountering this problem.

So about a month back or so, I started noticing there is a reconcile difference in my RBC chequing account.

I have 3 accounts, 2 chequing and one savings. From what I can remember, only one of the chequing accounts is having this problem, probably because it is the most active account with the most transaction daily downloads.

So, usually, when I reconcile the account, I come up with a balance difference of $0.00. That is how it should be.

However, one day I started noticing a difference when going to the reconcile window at the bottom.

I was confused seeing the day prior the reconcile difference was $0.00 and today's one step update transaction downloads should show $0.00 after reconciling.

I did a validate and super validate but the problem was still there.

So I thought, well, I have this Quicken file for over a year, maybe it became corrupt. So I created a new Quicken file, and tried again. Same error.

To make a long story short and after much troubleshooting, I have discovered what the problem was.

For whatever reason, with One Step Update, there are some transactions missing in the chequing account register.

Workaround:

Double-click on the file and it will import the transactions into Quicken.

I verified that all the transactions now appear in the account.

I do a reconcile. A difference is showing still.

That is because the online balance is not updated.

At this point, you do a One Step Update and the online balance will update.

Then you do a reconcile and bingo. $0.00 difference.

Hope this helps!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @BigSpender69,

Thank you for coming to share this information with other users!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like the same problem that so many other users are presently reporting - Express Web Connect is dropping transactions. The process the Original Poster cited is a workaround for what seems to be a widespread issue with Quicken - it is not a solution/resolution, but a mere workaround. One shouldn't have to run Web Connect to fill in the holes left by Express Web Connect !

• NoFourPutts
    NoFourPutts Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I posted about this same issue (but with Scotiabank) not long ago. Still an issue. Seems to have showed up as an issue in January and, for me, it is only for recurring transactions. Seems like the logic being used by Express Web Connect to not add duplicated transactions is missing the right primary key. I now get one of the recurring transactions, and Quicken is now trying to Match it to one already in the register.

This is very frustrating and is clearly a product update issue as it had been working correctly for years.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

It is not necessarily a "product update issue". The process of downloading transactions involves the Intuit aggregation servers, scripts, Quicken servers, the Quicken application, and the mobile sync functionality and servers. There are many components that all need to work correctly. The problem is not necessarily in the application. In fact, I would bet that the problem lies elsewhere. I don't doubt there is a problem - I am now getting duplicate and "missing" downloaded transactions from BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik M-C - the same scenario as described by many users in many threads. I believe the duplicate issue is caused by the parsing script no longer working after BMO updated its website. The missing transaction might also be a script problem or it might be related to that more widespread issue that other users are describing.

BTW, the "primary key" is the Downloaded ID, which in some cases is created by the financial institution and in other cases is created by the aggregation server (Intuit).

• NoFourPutts
    NoFourPutts Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You say potato, I say I don't care where the problem is or if it's complicated to solve! 😀

I'm a paying end user, not the dev team. I work in IT and if we just ignored reported issues like this it would not go over well. Simply acknowledging the bug and confirming it is in the backlog would quiet much of the noise…

• Arctic Hare
    edited March 1
    Options

I share the view that users shouldn't care what the cause of the problem is. I was merely correcting the assertion that this problem must be the result of an update to the application - because that logic could send someone down the wrong path from a resolution perspective. Users, me included, should, in most cases, stop at defining the problem and leave it to the developers to figure out the root cause and the resolution.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I find the Express Web Connect to very buggy and unreliable (for different Canadian FIs). I have therefore reverted toe Web Connect and, although there is an extra steeper two, the lack of problems more than makes the extra steps worthwhile.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

There is a considerable time cost to using Web Connect. In my view, adding Express Web Connect was the most important and valuable feature addition ever made to the Canadian version of Quicken… I just wish it was (far) more reliable. Express Web Connect has existed for decades now… after all this time it should work more reliably than it does OR Quicken should bring Direct Connect to Canada.

This discussion has been closed.