Q mistakes auto-deduction for numbered check

Options

Q is mistaking auto-deductions for numbered checks. For example, today there was a bill paid with my credit union through their bill pay feature. It posted on my Q account this morning but posted as a numbered check for the same amount that I had given to someone else. Any ideas what I should do. This is totally throwing my accounts out of balance.

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Hatshepsut did you start the bill pay feature recently with your CU and this is the first payment made? Or these check numbers just started happening? Also I am assuming the connection method is Direct Connect?

When I was using my bank's bill pay feature with Quicken, the payments were given check numbers starting with 5001 which in itself wasn't an issue but they coincided with the same numbering sequence as my regular checks. This caused major confusion until I realized what was going on. I didn't want to get rid of the Bill Pay check numbers for audit purposes, but I also didn't want to throw away boxes of checks. So, I just lived with it, knowing that the two payment methods shared check numbers. I finally changed to just using my bank's bill pay "standalone" instead of within Quicken. Using the bank's bill pay "standalone" doesn't have check numbers assigned.

• Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member
    Options

Thank you. This gives me a bit of perspective on what is going on. So…if I buy new checks with new numbers I can solve this????

What is the "standalone" bill pay format? I don't understand.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 1
    Options

@Hatshepsut yes you can certainly buy new checks with a new number sequence. Something that is easily distinguishable and won't conflict with your check numbers down the road.

I used "standalone" because I couldn't think of another term, but it is when you shut off bill pay capabilities in Quicken and use your financial institution's bill pay in your online account with them, instead of from within Quicken.

• Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member
    Options

Thank you for this information and for taking the time to explain to me what is going on. I appreciate your help.

This discussion has been closed.