Quicken crashes while opening data file

Options
paj418
paj418 Member ✭✭

I have been using Quicken since 1993 (over 30 years). Current using subscription Classic Deluxe (R54.16, Build 27.1.54.16). Installed on 2 computers (up-to-date Windows 11, HPs) sharing the data file from an NAS drive. Ethernet connections for everything. Computer #1 uses Quicken daily w/o any problems. Computer #2 uses Quicken only occasionally. Yesterday Quicken updated on #2. After loading, it presented the Welcome screen. After trying to load the data file, Quicken hung. Task Manager showed no activity at all. Rebooted. No change. Reinstalled, rebooted. No change. Uninstalled, deleted Quicken folder, rebooted, reinstalled. Quicken presented a white screen. "File\Open Quicken File" showed high activity 15% CPU usage. This lasted for 15 minutes and then:

I tried putting the data file in a shared folder on Computer #1 and loading from there. Same result. I have no idea how to proceed. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMHO, your data file should NEVER be shared among computers. Quicken is not designed for this kind of activity.
    The problem you describe looks to me like Quicken is waiting for a lost network data packet (I/O from the data file) which will never arrive.

Recommend you restore your data file from a backup taken before this problem first occurred (or at least move your data file) and store it in a folder on your C: - drive which is NOT processed by Microsoft OneDrive while Quicken is active. The default location is C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken

Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

P.S.: Backup files created by Quicken Backup can be stored in a folder processed by OneDrive.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 4
    Options

@paj418 - have you tried restoring a data file backup from before this error started? You can easily do this -

1. Find and select the backup file.
    2. Save a copy of the backup file to anywhere on your C:\ drive.
    3. Remove the backup extension "-backup".
    4. Double click on the file.

Quicken should open automatically.

Accessing an active Quicken Data File from a network drive is never recommended. It will eventually cause data file corruption.

It is a good idea to always access your data file from a local drive (C:\). If you need to know how access your Quicken data file from multiple computers, there have been many discussions on the topic. Here is the latest one:

• paj418
    paj418 Member ✭✭
    Options

If I hadn't been accessing my Quicken data from an external drive for 30 years, I would take your comment to heart. To be sure, we don't share the data. The data is simply accessed individually from either a shared Windows folder (for years) or lately (5 years) from a mapped NAS device (specifically L:\).

In any event, I ran Validate and Super Validate exactly as you specified (on the data file on the L:\ drive). I didn't see anything in the logs that concerned me (attached below).

After the validations, I copied the Quicken data file (.QDF), to computer #1 (the one with the issue) and started up Quicken. From the File menu, I selected the data file from the local C: drive. After 15+ minuted, I received the same Quicken Crash Report attached above. So, I have uninstalled Quicken, deleted the C:Program Files (x86) Quicken folder, rebooted, installed a fresh copy of Quicken, rebooted and all I get are the crash reports.

I really don't think this is a network issue. The computer in question regularly accesses other data files on the NAS drive. I'm left thinking that perhaps this data has grown too large for this computer (100 MB). This is a real stretch, but it's all I can think of. If necessary, I can dig around and find a data file from the last time Quicken worked on this computer.

• Norman Drews
    Norman Drews Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@paj418

Send the error report. When Quicken receives it there should be a minidump included which you could actually take a look at if you want. It would tell you exactly why it crashes. Quicken is a .NET application hosting clr.dll so you wouldn't even need symbols to resolve the stack, in most cases. The Report Details should show you what is collected and will be sent.

This discussion has been closed.