Database Update stuck when installing on a new Mac

Options
VictorZ
VictorZ Member ✭✭

Hi, all,

I have been using Quicken for Mac on an old Macbook, it's been updated to V7.5.2 has been running fine.

I just got a new Macbook and tried to install Quicken on the new machine to move things over.

The issue I encounter is:

• Installation worked fine
  • Opening my Quicken file copied over from my old Macbook worked fine.
  • Quit app.
  • Open app again, I get the Database Update window, and it gets stuck at around 99% done

I tried multiple approaches below, but none fixed the issue.

#1 Uninstall and re-install

• Uninstall Quicken using AppCleaner
  • Reinstall Quicken
  • This did not help. When I open the re-installed app, it goes directly to the Database Update window and get stuck.

#2 re-install in Safe mode

• Boot into Safe Mode
  • Re-install Quicken
  • Got the Get Started windows, seemed to work fine
  • Restart Macbook, open Quicken and got the Database Update window, stuck.

The above 2 cases are regardless if I open a newly created Quicken file, my old file, or no Quiken file at all on my Mac.

#3 factory reset and install

• Factory reset the Macbook
  • Quicken was the first and only app installed
  • Got the Get Started windows, able to open old Quicken file
  • Quit app
  • Restart App, got the Database Update window and stuck yet again!

I searched the web and this forum, it looks like quite a few people have had the same issue. Although the issues were marked as "Closed", I did not see any confirmed resolution of the issue.

Please refer to the attached screenshot for details.

Thanks,

Victor

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Have you tried updating to version 7.6.1, which was released this week? I'm wondering if the database updates for version 7.6 will reset whatever flag is getting stuck for you with 7.5.2.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I used the installer downloaded from my account page at Quicken.com. And it was 7.5.2.

How do I download 7.6.1?

thanks,

Victor

• VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

I booted my Macbook into safe mode and reinstalled Quicken. While it is functioning, I clicked on "Check for Update" and got it to update to 7.6.1.

But the issue persists. Quicken is still stuck at trying to update database.

Victor

• VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

In fact, there is an improvement in 7.6.1, so that at least Quicken becomes usable.

In 7.5.2, when it is stuck at updating database, clicking on Cancel has no effect, it continues to be stuck.

In 7.6.1, when I click on Cancel, it takes some time, then says something about the update will continue next time I open Quicken. Then it does allow me to access my recent files.

It is still annoying as I need to go through the cancelling process every time I try to run Quicken.

Victor

• jacobs
    Options

The download version on the website sometimes lags a little behind releases in the past few days, so I'm not totally surprised that it's still downloading 7.5.2 for you. Normally, a message would pop up to inform you there's a new version (7.6.1) available; you should also be able to get it by going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. If it isn't offering you 7.6.1 and tells you you are up-to-date with 7.5.2, it means that they have paused downloads of this release because they've found a bug(s) and plan to release a new update shortly (usually within a few days).

You said you restarted your Mac in Safe mode and got the Let's Get Started page, but it sounds like you didn't try to open your data file next. I would do that to see if it works or not. In other words restart your Mac in Safe mode and launch Quicken; on the Let's Get Started page, click Open Quicken File and navigate to and select your current Quicken file. Does it go through the database update and get stuck, or does it get through?

If that works, you might be stuck using Quicken in Safe mode for a couple days until they release 7.6.2.

The other thing you can try is creating a new preferences file, as it might be a flag in that file which keeps triggering the update process. Navigate you your User Library folder, and the Preferences folder there. Look for the com.quicken.Quicken.plist file, and drag it to your desktop. Now launch Quicken; it will generate a new preferences file. If that works, then the problem is with the old plist file. You can just continue with the new one it created, but you'll have to reset all your preferences. If that doesn't resolve the problem, trash the newly generated .plist file and drag your old one from your desktop back to the Preferences folder.

• jacobs
    Options

We both posted at the same time, so you've already progressed beyond some of the suggestions in my last post. I'm surprised it lets you run 7.6.1 if the database truly hasn't updated from 7.5.2 format; I would think the program would have unexpected results using any feature which touches the part of the database which was changed in 7.6.1. Unless the database is actually updated, but it can't clear the flag that tells it that it needs to update?

• VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Further update, with 7.6.1, the update data eventually completed, I can use the app now.

Victor

• jacobs
    Options

Weird behavior, but I'm glad it recovered from whatever it was stuck on, and you're now back in business! 😀

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How long did you wait before you started hitting the panic button?
    Just wondering … the dialog says something about "may take several minutes" …

• jacobs
    Options

Usually the database updates from one Quicken Mac version to another warn it may take several minutes, but actually complete in only a few seconds — and I have a database with 30 years of data. I guess it depends what the update is doing; if it's just adding a new table or field for a new feature, it might take only seconds, whereas if it has to update thousands of records, it might take minutes. I think I experienced the long update that Victor did one time; I was going to Force Quit and try again but I left it running and it eventually got through whatever it was doing.

• VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for helping out, Jacobs. I am just glad I can use Quicken again.

• VictorZ
    VictorZ Member ✭✭
    Options

In my case, it took WAY more than "a few minutes", I was nearly at my wits end…

This discussion has been closed.