One CC account-two CC numbers, how to merge into one account

spdarte
spdarte Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

I have a credit card that has the primary card number and a secondary card attached to the same account, but with a different card number. In quicken, it shows up as separate accounts, which makes it difficult for me to reconcile. Is there a way to combine them going forward? Possibly transfer the entries from the second, to the primary, then delete the secondary account, login to the credit card company and link the new secondary to the primary? Is that possible?

Best Answer

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 8 Answer ✓

@spdarte see what happens and if you have any issues or questions, please circle back.

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 8

@spdarte, each credit card company uses different methods to account for Primary and Secondary users of the credit card.

Do you mind sharing which credit card you have? Do the transactions on each account mirror each other, or does the Primary account have all the transactions and the Secondary account only have the transactions that were charged on the Secondary card.

[Edited - Removed Personal Information]

• spdarte

Chase is the bank and payments are made via the primary card, with charges show up on both. Basically, an employee card.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have 1 account, a MasterCard, with 2 cards.

I Q, I show them as a single account …. since I get a single statement.

So, decide which Q account you want to keep and then select all transactions in the other Q account and use "Move Transactions" to combine them.

Take a backup before you do this … just in case.

When you're happy with the results, you can simply delete the now empty Q account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• QuickUserPSP

@spdarte if all of the credit card transactions from either card show up in the primary account, then there is no need to set up the secondary account in Quicken. I think you can safely delete the secondary account and just have the primary account in Quicken.

• spdarte

thanks, that's basically what I have done. I'll see what happens the next time the secondary card is used and imported into Q. Hopefully, I'll be able to link it to the primary. I appreciate the help.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 8 Answer ✓

@spdarte see what happens and if you have any issues or questions, please circle back.

This discussion has been closed.