What to do when a brokerage changes your account number?

Options
Dtinen
Dtinen Member ✭✭

I'm on Mac, Quicken Classic Deluxe, version 7.4.2. But this isn't a software issue.

I had a mutual fund account linked to Quicken for years. In September, they had a rule change that required that account to be closed and transferred into a brokerage account, which has a different account number. At the time, I didn't change the download settings to the new account number, so it stopped downloading to the register.

I entered missing transactions by hand for a few months, and just now changed the account number so I could get future downloads. The result is that it all transactions are missing from the register and from all reports,. It's treating it as a new account with the same name and has deleted the old transactions (though, dividends from the old account to a checking account are still there).

I've seen a similar problem with credit cards that are lost/stolen and require new numbers; the recommendation for that is the disconnect/reauthorize routine. But in my case, my old account isn't there to be linked to the new one.

The only fix I can see is to restore a backup with the old account, rename it "Old bank" and start a new one called "New bank". Or am I missing something?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 9
    Options

Are you sure you connected your brokerage to your existing Quicken account? Sometimes when you set up an online connection it defaults to creating a new Quicken account instead of linking to an existing account. After you enter your login credentials you should get to a screen where it gives you the option to do one or the other.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Dtinen
    Dtinen Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it is the same Quicken account. I never got an option to link/open a new account. All I did was go to Account Settings/Downloads and change the Account Number, same customer ID and password.

This discussion has been closed.