Why is Quicken use of memory increasing the longer it is in use (Q Mac 4.8.6)

Options
forgotusername
forgotusername Member
edited April 12 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

I'm running Quicken for Mac 2017 on an iMac with the latest IOS (Sonoma) installed. I recently added some extra memory and noticed that Quicken at start up would be using about 50mb of memory. Within hours this grows to several hundred mb.

My version is 4.8.6 and it appears there are no updates available.

Why would Quicken continue to require more and more memory overtime even when it is doing nothing except sitting in the dock?

Tagged:

Answers

• forgotusername
    Options

I'm running Quicken for Mac 2017 on an iMac with the latest IOS (Sonoma) installed. I recently added some extra memory and noticed that Quicken at start up would be using about 50mb of memory. Within hours this grows to several hundred mb. 

My version is 4.8.6 and it appears there are no updates available.

Why would Quicken continue to require more and more memory over time even when it is doing nothing except sitting in the dock?

Tagged: 

• Mac
    • Quicken Mac

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 10
    Options

Some sort of memory leak. Doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, when I leave the current version of QMac running in the background the memory usage doesn't increase over time.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• forgotusername
    Options

Thank you Jon. Yes, memory leak was my suspicion too. If you are not having problem now, can you tell me what version of Q you are on?

• Jon
    Options

The current one (7.6.1).

• forgotusername
    Options

Thx again Jon. That's odd as I'm on a much older version but when I look for updates it says " Quicken 2017 4.8.6 is currently the newest version available." How so?

• Jon
    Options

I'm pretty sure that was the last version before they switched to subscriptions, that might be why it isn't seeing an available update.

• Jon
    edited March 10
    Options

(duplicate post deleted - Vanilla seems to be struggling this morning)

• forgotusername
    Options

thx Jon, yes, I guess you must be right. I can live with it as quitting and restarting resets the size. I have sufficient memory to tolerate some growth so monitoring memory use allows me to avoid it growing beyond what my Mac can cope with. Luckily, functionality meets my needs and so I'm not dependent on continuous updates. I'm a UK user btw, whereas, judging by other posts, the majority of users are on the other side of the pond. I appreciate your help, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.