Securities VALUE Wrong??

Options

I have an account that until recently was working fine. Now it shows a negative securities value in the account and lowers the sum total.

I have never used the online part and don't download anything. Where did the securities value come from and why did it just start?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@rohded - determine which security(s) has a negative market value and check transactions. It is easiest to do this by sorting the register by Security. Most likely a buy transaction was deleted, and there are sales after the deleted buy.

If you verified all transactions and don't see a missing or mis-entered transaction. Go to the investment account register and click on any transaction. Then try doing a "recalc" on your investment transactions by doing a [Ctrl+Shift+Z]. A pop-up box should appear -

Click "OK". When the process completes, check to see if the market value updates.

• rohded
    rohded Member
    Options

QuickUserPSP,

Thanks for the response. I have no buy/sell transactions and have never had any. I only have deposits and withdraws. However, it seems to now make my withdraws a MISCexp.

Does that help anymore?

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@rohded - if that is all you have, then the securities value should be zero. if you click on "Holdings" in your investment register, what does it show? Would you be able provide a screen print of the negative securities value?

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 11
    Options

@rohded let's back up a bit. Before you do anything else, please do a valdiate and super validate on your data file.

Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. ChecK Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

When the Super Validate finishes, close and restart Quicken and then check to see if your balances have updated.

If the balances are still incorrect after the validates, click on "Holdings" in your investment register. What does it show? Would you be able provide a screen print of the negative securities value?

• rohded
    rohded Member
    Options

QuickUserPSP,

I just ran the first one and it seemed to take care of it? Is this a common problem?

How can I give you points for the super help?

• rohded
    rohded Member
    Options

QuickUserPSP,

I just ran the first one and it seemed to take care of it? Is this a common problem?

How can I give you points for the super help?

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@rohded I am glad it worked! Well I see it happen from time to time. In the future if you run into any issues that seem strange, the first thing to try is the validate. Doing that seems to fix a lot of issues.

This discussion has been closed.