Update on the Wells Fargo downloaded transaction truncation issue

Options

After dealing with the truncations issue (getting partial payee information in downloaded transactions), I called and spoke to a Quicken technician. The solution is relatively simple (but really annoying in my case):

1. backup your Quicken file (always back up your quicken file)
  2. make a copy of your Quicken file (File > Copy or Backup > Create a copy …)
  3. open the Quicken file copy
  4. open the (or a) Wells Fargo account
  5. since this is a copy, the account is not linked to WFB.
    1. go to https://wellsfargo.com/fmssetup and sign in. This will authorize the new Quicken copy to connect to WFB
    2. reconnect to WFB (Account details > Online services)
    3. you should get a listing of all of your WFB accounts. check to may sure they will connect to your existing WFB account in Quicken.
  6. Running an update on the WFB account(s) will (should) include the full payee.

You have now connected all of your WFB accounts associated with that WFB login. The bad news is that any other WFB accounts, and all of your other connected accounts in any other banks, have to be reconnected as well.

I wonder if you can just disconnect and reconnect the WFB within the original Quicken file.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder if you can just disconnect and reconnect the WFB within the original Quicken file.

Make a backup and try. What can it hurt? If it works, it is a lot quicker than resetting up all of the accounts in the other copied file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 10
    Options

@smrobertson that is an interesting fix. The "Copy File" procedure is usually done when the data file is possibly corrupted, or several account connections are not working properly. In that respect, it gives a "fresh start" for online services.

Did the technician give you are reason why, or what caused the truncation issue to happen?

• smrobertson
    smrobertson Member ✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP no details from the tech.

He also had me move my Quicken file out of OneDrive. Claimed there have been reported conflicts with automatic OneDrive backup. I asked him if that had ever been sent out as a notification to Quicken users … he didn't know.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@smrobertson - yes placing and accessing your active Quicken data file from OneDrive is not recommended because conflicts with OneDrive backup can cause data file corruption. That is why he had you do the "Copy File" process, which can clean up and remove file corruption. There have been many discussions regarding OneDrive issues in this Quicken Community form. Here is a support article on the topic -

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-opening-data-file-while-using-online-storage-service

I think you are ok if you use OneDrive, or any online storage folders as a storage location for your Quicken data files. Just as long as you do not access those files directly from OneDrive. Copy the backup file to a local drive before accessing, or restoring it.

• smrobertson
    smrobertson Member ✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP - I am (was) using a local copy of my Quicken file, not the file on the OneDrive server. My understanding is that OneDrive won't replicate the local file to the server until the local file is no longer in use. So I'm unclear on the conflict between Quicken and OneDrive.

In any case, my new Quicken copy is working (now that I fixed an issue with American Express accounts) outside of OneDrive. I have my backups being backed up to a cloud site. So no need or desire to bring OneDrive back into the picture.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@smrobertson there are many points where conflicts with OneDrive can happen. Accessing your data file from OneDrive is the main one. But the other one is during the replication (or sync) process. If you have a large Quicken data file, the process is very slow, and any interruption can cause corruption.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Options

The biggest issue with OneDrive (or any of the similar services) is that Quicken closes & re-opens the data file at various points in using the program. The most obvious times are when making a backup or doing a validate. It also seems to do a close/re-open when it is checking if there is a program update available. The issue is that the cloud services try to grab the file in between the close and re-open causing an error in Quicken.

Using the cloud service syncing with Quicken is okay IF you pause/suspend the cloud service while you are using Quicken and you are accessing the local copy of the data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

I have a feeling that the main reason for Quicken not working well with OneDrive or any cloud storage is because you cannot open a compressed file when it is in the cloud storage and the QDF is a compressed file.

This discussion has been closed.