How can I add online services to an existing John Hancock 401k investment account?

Options

I have an offline 401K account I manually added to Quicken. I want to now connect it to the online services at John Hancock. I used the gear icon from the register to access the online services option and clicked "setup now". That took me to a menu where I could select John Hancock. After the next screen it then goes into a screen that wants me to create a new account. It asks me for a new account name and then opening balance details. I tried going further and it does indeed create a NEW account. I don't want the new account. I want to connect the existing account I already have setup. I tried this from a couple of other entry points but in all cases it seems to require I create a new account. Please help me solve this.

Steve

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 15
    Options

@UserSteve it looks like John Hancock only allows a Web Connect (WC) connection method. Which means you can only download transactions from your online account with John Hancock. The easiest way to connect to Online Services is to go your online account and download transactions. The first time you do this, a dialog box will pop up and ask which account these transactions belong to and then you will need to link to your 401(k) account on Quicken. After this connection is made, any subsequent download will automatically go to the 401(k) account. You can verify this WC connection by looking at the Online Services tab in Account Details. It should no longer be "Set up now". If you click on the gear icon, it should no longer have an item "Set up Download". It will be replaced by "Update Transactions". If you click on it, it will take you to your account sign on with John Hancock so you can download transactions to Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

not sure if this is the actual JH info you are accessing -
    appears to only support 401k investments - which is exactly what you have -

09847 09847 09847 John Hancock Financial Services
    https://www.jhinvestments.com/AccountAccess.aspx 1-800-695-7389
    https://www.secureaccountview.com/BFWeb/clients/jhinvestments/index ACTIVE
    401K&WEB-CONNECT

but as mentioned - there is only 1 entry for any kind of downloading -
    and it is the manual Web Connect discussed above by @QuickUserPSP -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UserSteve
    UserSteve Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the help. I guess I need to learn some more vocabulary. Downloading transactions using Web Connect would be fine. But I still can't find any way to turn this on for my Quicken 401K account. Do I need to enable this from the John Hancock website, and if so how can that website know what account in my local Quicken file to link to? If I try to do it from Quicken the problem remains as I described above, it wants to create a new account.

I'm still lost here, sorry.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Scroll back up and read thru the posting about the process

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@UserSteve yes, you would need to initiate the connection from your online account with John Hancock. Sign into your John Hancock account. There should be options for downloading transactions. One of the methods offered should be download to Quicken. Go ahead and initiate a download to Quicken. After you do so, you should see a pop up dialogue box in Quicken asking either to set up a new account or link to an existing account in Quicken. Choose existing account in Quicken and select your 401(k) account. Once you do this, a link will be established and from then on, every time you download transactions from your John Hancock account to Quicken, the transactions will automatically download to your 401(k) account.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    Options

just to add some tidbits to what @QuickUserPSP has mentioned -

After you try the steps - let us all know if it worked or you ran into issues -

1 - Sign into you online JH account - and find the Download menu and select - Download Quicken QFX file format -
    2 - This should initiate a download of a QFX file to your computer.
    3 - This will also/should initiate Quicken - to auto start a File Import QFX file function - (there have been recent issues with this)
    4 - The QFX file has a 5-digit unique Quicken assigned bank number - and will try to match that internally with your existing accounts.
    5 - As mentioned - if not found - you will need to LINK the new incoming QFX data transactions with your EXISTING Quicken Account.

Quicken FIDIR listing —→ 09847 09847 09847 John Hancock Financial Services
    Downloaded QFX file FID header —→
    <FI>
    <ORG>B1
    <FID>09847
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>09847
    </SONRS>

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Ps56k2 your steps (#2 & #3) also reminded me of another thing. Sometimes the QFX file is downloaded to your computer (download folder) and not automatically opened. If that is the case, then @UserSteve would need to double click on the OFX file to get it to upload to Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    Options

here's a couple of screen shots -
    As mentioned - depending upon your browser settings - you somehow need to OPEN the QFX file to wake up Quicken -

make sure you [x] the LINK option and point to your Existing 401k Quicken account

[Edited - Removed Personal Information from Screenshot]

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.