Capital One Accounts: Can't Reauthorize for OSU

Options

This is me:

I have 5 accounts with Capital One, all of which WERE downloading during OSU:

This, despite as you see above, all of the accounts report "Last Download Not Available."

And all 5 of these Account Registers also FAIL to show a "Last download" (as exampled below)"

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM, because how else am I to know whether transactions occurred? If they did download, as is the case with these 5 accounts, then ok, I can see them "redflagged" in the "Account Bar" as I've exampled below:

But if they didn't download, then I could remain unaware of transactions that could contribute to overdraft or late fees. That's not acceptable and so that is the problem I needed solved.

And in seeking to solve THAT problem I have introduced ANOTHER problem.

Referring again to my Account List, these 5 Capital One Accounts now show 3 distinct Financial Institutions.

They HAD been showing only 2. It wasn't until I deactivated, and then attempted to reauthorize downloading for that last account (shown above as the "$59 FEE!!!" account), that this 3rd FI — "Capital One Bank- New" — showed up.

And now I can't get that last one to reauthorize. Here's what transpires:

A new browser window opens and I provide my user & password:

And this is what I get/where it is failing:

Continued attempts to "Sign In" also fail. I am "dead in the water" with using Quicken to download from this account.

I even tried unlinking Quicken as a "Linked App" on my Capital One account:

But I still can't get reauthorization through Quicken.

To finish up here, and perhaps insinuate a cause of this problem, this is with one of my two Capital One Credit Card Accounts. Deactivating one of them resulted in a change of financial institution from "Capital One Card Services" to "Capital One - New."

I am leaving the other Cap One CC account as is — with the ability to continue performing OSU/downloads — until somebody can explain why this is happening and what I can do about it.

Again, to emphasize, I started out just trying to get all my accounts to indicate they performed a "Last Download" (either in the Account List and/or the Account Register). I've ended up crippling my ability to download transactions for a credit card I use literally everywhere/every day. I need a fix. Thanks.

Best Answer

  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

    Thank you for the follow up,

    I'm glad to hear you were able to correct the issue, and thank you for sharing the steps you followed.

    Were you having other issues that prompted you to create a copy of the file, or is this troubleshooting you saw somewhere else and decided to try?

    Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

    Quicken Kristina

    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

    Hello @lopat08865,

    To answer your question about the changing connection option, normally, the cause of the connection option changing is if you choose a different connection option when reconnecting the accounts.

    The error in the screenshot you posted usually results when something is blocking communication, which prevents Quicken from seeing that you successfully authorized on Capital One's side. If you were able to go through the process with no issues on the previous accounts, but not this one, then it's possible you need to clear cache and cookies in the browser. Other common culprits are pop up blockers, ad blockers, VPNs, firewalls, having security settings on the browser too high, and anti-virus software (some anti-virus software, like Kaspersky, pulls banking sessions to a custom browser, for example). To troubleshoot this, you may want to start by pausing services that may interfere when you are going through the reconnect/authorize process. If the issue persists, try temporarily setting a different default browser, then going through the process using that alternate browser.

    I hope this helps!

    Quicken Kristina

    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

  • lopat08865
    lopat08865 Member ✭✭
    Options

    RESOLVED. Seems like the following fix straightened everything out.

    Close Quicken.

    Reopen Quicken using the COPIED FILE.

    Reauthorize ALL Accounts, one by one.

    Locate, copy, then HIDE the runtime.dat file.

    Perform OSU (created new runtime.dat file)

    All account registers now display last download date/time. Account list also displays it.

  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

    Thank you for the follow up,

    I'm glad to hear you were able to correct the issue, and thank you for sharing the steps you followed.

    Were you having other issues that prompted you to create a copy of the file, or is this troubleshooting you saw somewhere else and decided to try?

    Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

    Quicken Kristina

    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

  • lopat08865
    lopat08865 Member ✭✭
    Options

    I'd seen some knowledgeable users here mention both the "COPY FILE" approach and, perhaps more importantly, a corruption of the "RUNTIME.DAT" file. As I was in the process of doing some closing & consolidation of my bank accounts, I thought it best to make and work from the Copy. It might be the case that just doing the RUNTIME.DAT would have solved it by itself.

    And it should be re-emphasized that making and then working with a new Copy of the file takes some time. All of your Accounts used for OSU need to be re-established with the Financial Institutions.