How to export Security list with Investment Goal?

Options
AllanM
AllanM Member ✭✭
edited April 16 in Investing (Windows)

I would the export a list of securities, their name, symbol, and investment goal. If the export includes other columns, that Ok as I can jsut ignore them.

I cannot figure out a way to do this. Looks like from the Investing tab, Portfolio screen I can sort by Investment Goal, but I cannot add it as a column. The export tried to the look like the on-screen report, pre-sorts with headers. Nope; don't want that. I want data that I can use in other tools (databases that I have written).

The Portfolio Value report has the same issue.

Either if these options also will list a security more than once if its owned in multiple accounts.

I just want to export the security list with Investment goal. Even the Security List doesn't have an Investment Goal column! Also, there is no export in the Security List window.

File Export will export as QIF and includes price data. I support I can ignore the price data and use a tool (or write one) to convert the data, but sheesh, it can't be this hard. I must be missing something!

Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the closest you will get to this is a Portfolio view grouped by Investing Goal. This will list each security only once. If you need the goal in a column, you would have to add that after exporting.

QWin Premier subscription
  • AllanM
    AllanM Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I'm a new quick user and while I like a lot about the program, it's reporting and exporting leaves a lot to be desired. I will using it mostly to track investments and while it can do siple stuff like add a column to a view, it's baffling why they don't list obvious columns like account name or goal or any other the other fields associated with a security.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I agree the export formats could be better.

The reports are driven by a database query; it would be nice if you could simply export the full query result rather than something that was formatted for printing.

Split transactions in banking registers are particularly annoying - The Payee appears on the first line of the split but not on subsequent lines.

• AllanM
    AllanM Member ✭✭
    Options

Ug. thanks.

I find that when I do an export of just securities, the last security in the list is mis-formatted:

……

!Type:Security
    NWESTERN UNION CO
    SWU
    TStock
    GIncome-Qualifie
    ^
    NXLE
    TStock
    GGrowth
    ^

Note the NXLE. N is for the security name, "S" is for symbol. The section should be

NEnergy Select Sector SPDR Fund
    SXLE
    TStock
    GGrowth
    ^

as it's shown in the Security List. How do I report this as a bug to Quicken?

• AllanM
    AllanM Member ✭✭
    Options

whoops, I see the "Repot a Problem" in the Help menu. I will use that approach, unless there is a better one. How long does Quicken take to fix a bug like this?

• AllanM
    AllanM Member ✭✭
    Options

More oops. I see that the Report a Problem isn't a way to open a ticket. I guess I have to call them as they don't seem to have a way to open a ticket on the web. Odd.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I take it you are seeing a problem with a QIF export.

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

Updates on problems that Quicken has acknowledged are posted here

Quicken never says when a problem is expected to be resolved.

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

• AllanM
    AllanM Member ✭✭
    Options

Actually, somehow an extra security got into my security list. Not sure how that happened as I didn't enter any securities manually. Anyways, I deleted that security and the problem is no longer there in my QIF file.

I also wrote a simple python script, using the quiffen model, to confer the QIF to CSV. Still silly that Quicken doesn't allow it's own fields in the reports or windows, but I'm guess they either have a reason for that, or they don't :-)

This discussion has been closed.