What checks should I use?

Options

I'm using Win 11 & the latest version of Q. I have never used the check printing function. I have used it on Qbooks, but never on Quicken.

I want to use fullsize (business size) checks, not the personal size. I will be on an ink jet printer (Epson Workforce) & will be putting the sheets of checks in the paper tray as needed.

Questions: 1) are the checks that are made for Qbooks compatible with Quicken? The sellers say yes but I thought I'd ask those who actually use them. 2) If I get sheets of 3 checks per page and only use the first one or two can I refeed the sheets to use the remaining checks or will they have paper jam issues? Or should I stick with one check per page?

Any other hints/suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Checks marketed as "Quickbooks compatible" are also compatible with Quicken.

The Epson Workforce printer requires that you load your preprinted check sheets face down into the input tray. You need to test if, when printing multiple sheets, that the resulting output prints check 1001 on the sheet prenumbered 1001 … you may have to either shuffle sheets so that the lowest numbered sheet is on top of the stack of forms that you load into the tray or that you set up Printer Properties to print in reverse page order every time you print checks.

Printing partial pages may be next to impossible on the Epson WF. You need to remove the paper tray, load the partial page, reinsert the tray and then print only the partial page.

If you run into partial check page printing issues, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11" sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.
    See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/supplies/forms/form-leaders for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search Amazon or order from Intuit.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    I use an old Epson Stylus CX 4800 printer for check printing. It uses a straight-thru paper path with the input tray at the back of the printer. To load check forms I just stick a handful of sheets into the tray face up and print away.

When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Options

There is at least one Epson Workforce printer that accommodates 2 paper trays, so one could be dedicated to check stock. Whether it can print partial page checks is unknown.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3347863/Epson-WorkForce-Pro-WF-C4810-Inkjet/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Bing-_-Printers_Accessories-_-3347863&mediacampaignid=71700000099751177_370758096&gclsrc=3p.ds#MoreInfo

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.