How do I turn off auto clear with manual entries

Options
tlblakeney
tlblakeney Member ✭✭

I do almost all my entries to quicken manually. As soon as I save the transaction, Quicken marks it as cleared. How can I turn that off?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Check the related entry in the Tools Menu / Memorized Payee List.
    Look for the checkbox next to "Mark as cleared" and, if there is one, remove the checkmark.
    Depending on your needs for each payee, consider marking this MPL entry as "Locked" to prevent it from being changed by accident.

Repeat the above for all MPL entries you're having the same problem with.

This checkbox is set when you create a Memorized Payee List entry from a register transaction which is already marked as cleared or reconciled.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Check the related entry in the Tools Menu / Memorized Payee List.
    Look for the checkbox next to "Mark as cleared" and, if there is one, remove the checkmark.
    Depending on your needs for each payee, consider marking this MPL entry as "Locked" to prevent it from being changed by accident.

Repeat the above for all MPL entries you're having the same problem with.

This checkbox is set when you create a Memorized Payee List entry from a register transaction which is already marked as cleared or reconciled.

• tlblakeney
    tlblakeney Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks

• tlblakeney
    tlblakeney Member ✭✭
    Options

I just converted from an old version of Quicken (2020 - R25.21) and it appears as the convert was not a clean as I would have expected. I have to go to the edit function of the transaction to see the "Mark as Cleared" check box. Every item in the Memorized Transactions List appears to have that box checked. Is there a way to clear that box in all the transactions at once, or am I stuck with having to manually update several hundred transactions?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have several hundred memorized payees? If so, you might want to consider cleaning up the list to eliminate payees not used recently. There is a preference setting where you can specify the time frame for retaining the payees. Just set that preference, then close and reopen Quicken, and all the older payees will be removed.

If you have so many memorized payees because of payee name variations like Starbucks Menlo Park and Starbucks Palo Alto, you may want to consider using renaming rules. Renaming rules will normalize the payee name to just Starbucks. This normalization helps reduce the number of payees.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.