Will I have to re-download previously downloaded transactions after I restore from backup?

Options

A financial institution forced me to change account types, putting what had been a mutual fund into a brokerage account. That stopped automatic downloads into Quicken for several months, and once I realized that I edited the account with a new number and password.

I didn't realize that by entering a new number and password for that institution into Quicken that I would lose all previous account history for the mutual fund!

It seems I need to restore my Quicken file from a backup I made before I changed the account, and then open the brokerage account as a new account (and then maybe link the histories?)

In any case, when I do this, what happens to the transactions that were downloaded from other accounts between the earlier backup and my last download? Will the restored Quicken file recognize that it doesn't have those transactions and download them again, or do I have to enter them by hand?

Another way of asking the question is: where is the "flag" indicating that a transaction has been downloaded—at the financial institution or in Quicken itself?

Thanks.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

which brokerage - Vanguard ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure the old mutual accounts aren't still there? Wouldn't it set up a new account for the brokerage account?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Dtinen
    Dtinen Member ✭✭
    Options

The old mutual account isn't there in any hidden file or list. As far as the history is concerned, the account starts the day I changed the account number and password, and since I named it the same…instead of calling it "New Brokerage" it deep-fixed all previous transactions.

So, what about the question of whether I need to reconstruct the file for the weeks since that happened, before I became aware that I'd have to revert to an earlier version of the file?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

I didn't realize that by entering a new number and password for that institution into Quicken…. 

Quicken Accounts don't have passwords -
    Did you create a totally new Quicken FILE for this un-named brokerage ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10