Imported 0 transactions from BoA QFX file (edit)

Options
techwoman
techwoman Member ✭✭

There are 60 or so transactions I'm trying to import (BofA Visa QFX from a month ago, to Quicken Classic Business & Personal, ver R55.15). Never had this problem before. I've tried downloading the QFX file again, tried validate & repair, nothing works. It looks like I'm just going to have to enter 60-some transactions by hand? Not looking forward to this, but also concerned about the path going forward. Will I continue to have a problem with future imports? Dismayed.

Tagged:

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@techwoman - The one thing you can try is creating a new account and then using a QFX file, download the 60 transactions to it, and then, using the "Move" command, move the 60 transactions to your BOA account. There might be some "cleanup" to do, especially if some of the transactions are transfers, but at least you wouldn't need to manually input all the transactions.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@techwoman my first troubleshooting step would be to open the QFX file with a text editor like Notepad and confirm the transactions you are expecting are listed. The format will be similar to XML with various tags, but the content is decipherable.

If the transactions were previously imported into your account, Quicken will not reimport them as Quicken keeps track of imported transaction IDs to avoid duplicates. You can force a reimport by editing the QFX file and changing the transaction IDs by adding a letter or number.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• techwoman
    techwoman Member ✭✭
    Options

When I created a new account, I don't see the option to import transactions. I guess I have to tie that in to the bank to be able to do that? (I'm working with offline files)

• techwoman
    techwoman Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Indeed, I see all the transactions there. So I would have to change something about each of the 60 transaction IDs?

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@techwoman - you need to unlink your current BOA account by going into Account Details and in the "Online Services" tab, click on "Deactivate". Then on the "General" tab clear out the Financial Institution Name and Account Number.

Then, when you download the transactions from your online BOA account, a dialog box will pop up asking which account you want the transactions to be downloaded to. Choose the new (temporary) account you created.

After you move the transactions from the temporary account to your BOA account, you then will deactivate online services in the temporary account. And then the next time to download BOA transactions, you then will reconnect to your BOA account.

After the transactions have been moved from the temporary to the BOA account, you can delete the temporary account.

This discussion has been closed.