Creating reports by vendor

Options

I haven't had Quicken for years. I freelance, and for tax time I need to create reports by vendor. For example, one report for Verizon, one for the MTA, one for ConEd. Credit card and banking websites have made this really difficult lately, I don't want to spend all my time cutting and pasting and exporting spreadsheets. Which Quicken for Mac can I link up with my checking and all my credit cards, so that at end of year I can search for a specific vendor and generate a spending report? Not category, but vendor, across all my financial products. If I can even do that. Thanks so much, this has been driving me crazy

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 31 Answer ✓
    Options

You need some consistent way of identifying vendors - if you're not going to use Categories then either Payee names or Tags. You can create reports that filter on either one of those (at least you can on the Mac, I assume on Windows as well). Quicken Deluxe should be able to handle that, but if you're a freelancer you probably want to take a look at Business & Personal since it will let you track both your business finances and your personal finances but separate them out. The Windows version also does invoicing; the Mac version doesn't do that yet but it's on the way.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 31 Answer ✓
    Options

You need some consistent way of identifying vendors - if you're not going to use Categories then either Payee names or Tags. You can create reports that filter on either one of those (at least you can on the Mac, I assume on Windows as well). Quicken Deluxe should be able to handle that, but if you're a freelancer you probably want to take a look at Business & Personal since it will let you track both your business finances and your personal finances but separate them out. The Windows version also does invoicing; the Mac version doesn't do that yet but it's on the way.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• JAKlady
    JAKlady Member
    Options

Thx, I don't need invoicing (i'm paid by W2 by payroll companies) and I really don't need to separate out by business or personal, that's determined by the vendor. I guess I was looking at the differences between Simplifi, Classic Deluxe, and Classic Premiere. And, looking back at the prices again, they totally jumped in price from when I was looking earlier this evening

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I can't speak to Simplifi, never having used it. But I'd have to guess it would let you report by Payee (what you refer to as Vendor).

The primary differences between Deluxe and Premier are that Premier includes priority support and a certain number free Quicken Bill Pay transactions. Both Deluxe and Premier will create reports by Payee. It will also let you create renaming rules so that payee names that download differently from different banks can be made to be consistent. This seems to be what you may be referring to when you say banking sites have made this difficult. I don't know if Simplifi lets you create renaming rules.

Also be aware that Simplifi is online only with no option to keep your data local to your own computer.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • JAKlady
    JAKlady Member
    Options

Thanks, that is super helpful