Quicken Classic data file location.

Options

I’m running Windows 11 Home on an HP laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U running at 2.10 GHz with 12GB of internal RAM.

The system has an internal 256 GB SSD (C-drive) and an internal 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA (D-drive).
I prefer to use my SSD for the OS and I put my data files in the D drive.
I’ve been using Quicken since January 2024 and I occasionally experience a crash when running '1 step update'.

When I contact support to troubleshoot the crash the first question they ask is the location of the data file. They absolutely do not want the data file in a ‘cloud’ location like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive. I understand that. But they interpret this prohibition to include any location that is not the C drive. So, the first thing they want me to do is move my datafile to the C drive (because Quicken was designed to run from the C drive). No other troubleshooting. I asked of there are any logs that might help point to the reason for the crash, they say no.

So, although I don’t want to move my data file to my C drive, I’ll defer to the wisdom and experience of the folks here in the Community. What say you?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3
    Options

With your current setup, your reasoning is sound and that is the way I've run Quicken for nearly a decade without issue. Since you are using Win11, you may not be aware that OneDrive has a nasty habit of placing the Documents folder (and all subfolders) on OneDrive (cloud) by default. You can exclude the Quicken folder from the OneDrive settings, but I found it more convenient to simply create a local folder for files including Quicken to remain off limits to OneDrive.

If you ever migrate to a larger C: drive (1TB or more), OS and data file storage separation becomes moot.

This discussion has been closed.