FSA / HRA

Options
Eric
Eric Member ✭✭✭

What would be a good account type to use for a FSA account? How about a HRA account?

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The one year I did a FSA I just used a Cash account for it. After all you don't earn any interest on the balance, there's just money going in & money coming out. But you could use a Savings account if you'd rather have it show up in that account group in your sidebar; any non-investing account would work, really.

I never had an HRA but I'd probably do it the same way if I was going to create an account for it. Since all the HRA money comes from the employer & you contribute nothing, I'm not sure it would even be worth tracking as an account in Quicken, though. Just enter the reimbursements as positive expenses when you receive them to offset the original expense.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The one year I did a FSA I just used a Cash account for it. After all you don't earn any interest on the balance, there's just money going in & money coming out. But you could use a Savings account if you'd rather have it show up in that account group in your sidebar; any non-investing account would work, really.

I never had an HRA but I'd probably do it the same way if I was going to create an account for it. Since all the HRA money comes from the employer & you contribute nothing, I'm not sure it would even be worth tracking as an account in Quicken, though. Just enter the reimbursements as positive expenses when you receive them to offset the original expense.

This discussion has been closed.