Financial institution is downloading pending transactions even with feature turned off

Options
System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

BMO CC-601 Error after BMO Canada updated their servers on Jan 21, 2024.

Comments

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

I opened my Quicken this morning and found this banner in my BMO Mastercard account on Quicken:

So this is a new 'Feature'?????

I click the 'Learn More' and I get a blank window. No information at all on how to control this thing.

I click 'Settings' and I get this:

I click the Learn more about 'Pending Transactions' and I get a blank window. I click the Learn more about 'Pending Transactions Preferences' and get a blank window.!!!!!!!!!!!

This thing is turned off in my preferences, but what does that mean?? Why did it download pending transactions if the preferences have it set to OFF?

😡

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

I found that this 'feature' is in every account with Express Web Connect. This impacts all my accounts, not just my BMO Mastercard. I am going to open a discussion around this massive Quicken failure.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6
    Options

It does warrant its own thread and I suggest you post in the main transaction download topic area, not the All Things Canadian.

FWIW, I suspect that the issue is that Quicken is relying on the financial institutions to use a common Downloaded ID for the related pending and posted pair of transactions and this is failure point when that is not the case. The other potential issue is that the value of a pending transaction is sometimes different from the value of the related posted transaction, especially when there is F/X involved. Unless Quicken has an extremely good handle on these risks and nuances, this "feature" seems to be playing with fire. Quite frankly, of all the things that they could use the precious resources of their development team, I'm shocked that this even made it on the radar. It seems to be fringe use case and a problematic one at that. I certainly have not need or desire to download pending transactions.

Once you create a new thread on this issue, I suggest you post a link to that new thread in this one for easy cross reference.

That's my $0.02.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @TJTex,

There is currently a known issue with the Learn More button from the banner not working properly. You can see this Community Alert for more information.

Here are the links to the Help articles about Pending transactions:

Since you mentioned that pending transactions are downloading even with the feature turned off, I recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for further assistance since they have access to tools that we on the Community can't access and they are able to escalate the issue as needed. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    edited April 6
    Options

The 'Learn' button is the least of the problems [Removed - Disruptive]. I know what a pending transaction is and do not need to to be 'educated'.

Now that Quicken tinkers with balances, pending transactions and reconciliation, my bank accounts will never balance to my Quicken EVER. I have tried and the difference in the balances when reconciling is the 'Pending' amount ALWAYS.

This feature is broken. Fix it or remove it.

Also, see the new discussion I started for more details on how badly this feature has [Removed - Language] the use of Quicken.