System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Turning on/off Pending Transactions

Tagged:

Comments

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hey, so Ive been reading thru all this because i am having reconciliation problems. The online balance when reconciling sometimes does not update. Also, my auto reconcile isnt working properly and when it does “seem” to auto reconcile, it does not change transactions from C Cleared to R Reconciled. Is this whole pending transaction thing mucking things up? Ugh I am fine with waiting until pending items are cleared. However neither way reconciles properly

Finally, which works better Direct Web Connect or Express? ( I think those are the two names)

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @teeann,

To address your first question, according to this help article, the pending transactions feature should not have any affect on your reconciles. The behaviors you are describing should not be caused by this new feature…the main place where there is potential to impact reconciles is if pending transactions reflect in the Online Balance, and that can be turned off if it happens.

Did these reconcile issues start immediately after updating your Quicken? If not, do you recall when they did start? Could you provide a bit more information what is/is not happening when you are trying to update and reconcile your accounts? Is this impacting all of your accounts? When the online balance fails to update, are there transactions that download? Was the online balance reflecting those transactions before they downloaded into your Quicken? What messages are you seeing when the auto reconcile tries to run? Are you seeing any messages/pop ups when it seems to work (but doesn't actually mark anything reconciled)?

To address your second question, there are 4 connection types: Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, Web Connect, and Express Web Connect +. See this article for more information on each connection type. Depending on what connection types your financial institution supports, you may or may not have a choice of which one to use. Which is better or worse depends on what you want to do; the table below is copied from the article and shows the functionality that comes with each connection type.

Feature

Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect

Express Web Connect Plus

Direct Connect

Web Connect

Automatically download transactions from your financial institution.

X

X

X

Pay bills and transfer money directly from Quicken.

X

Your financial institution may require a monthly fee and separate activation for this service.

X

You must manually download a file from your financial institution's website to update your transactions and account balances.

X

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi thanks,

I do not intentionally update my Quicken version. I think my account automatically updates. But the problem has been going on the last 3 weeks or so.

Re: Chase not reconciling properly:
    I have made no changes to my Chase connection method. It has been Express Web Connect for at least one year. It has worked fine until the last few weeks. Seems the online balance now is no longer accurate. Sometimes the online balance is old (has nothing to do with weekend lag) and sometimes it is just wrong. (I saw another post from a few days ago on here that gave more detail about the problem, which is still happening.)

And yes, transactions do seem to download. Sometimes they are duplicates of transactions that have already downloaded so I just delete them

None of this happens as seemlessly as it used to, and I havent changed anything I do.

Thnaks for you help

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I saw you mentioned in the other thread that this is affecting your checking accounts and your credit card accounts with Chase. To clarify, is this impacting all of your Chase accounts that are connected in Quicken? You mentioned that 2 of the credit card accounts had the opening balance change. Did correcting the opening balance allow them to reconcile correctly, or are they still off?

With the duplicating transactions, is there any pattern to it (any specific kind of transaction that gets duplicated)? Are these duplicate downloads, or are they transactions you had put in your register manually that are then downloading as new transactions rather than matching to the existing manual transaction? Does deleting those duplicates bring your accounts back in balance, or is the reconcile still off?

One thing that can cause unusual issues is if you have an inactive/closed account that is still trying to connect with the financial institution in Quicken. To check for this, first, please backup your Quicken file. Then, go to Tools>Account List. If there is an option to Show hidden accounts (checkbox near the lower left of the Account List window, but visible only if you have hidden accounts), please select that checkbox. Review the Account List for any inactive/closed accounts that are still showing "Yes" in the Transaction Download column.

If you see any, please deactivate those inactive/closed accounts, then try updating your accounts and verify if the Online Balances for your active accounts are still incorrect.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I doubled checked and there are NO old accounts trying to connect via any method. All old accounts are CLOSED 🚫 and show no connection methods. Also, as I was downloading and reconciling today, I did confirm that this is happening with all 5 of my Chase accounts, 2 checking and 3 credit cards.

I have been an accountant for 35 years and am well versed in bank reconciliations. Also, I have been using Quicken since 1998, so this is not a matter of me not knowing how to reconcile banks accounts, or being new to Quicken and inexperienced. In addition, I have been using Chase for 20 years, so I know that these things happen from time to time between Quicken and Chase.

Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. At first I noticed that when my accounts were auto reconciling all my Chase accounts would act as if the account was reconciled with a message popping up that the accounts were reconciled and no items were outstanding. However the accounts were showing C cleared transactions did not change to R reconciled as usual. Then I noticed that the online balance were wrong. Not sure where they were coming from. Some appeared to be old online balances, sometimes as old as a week. Now I have had to revert to manually reconciling; which makes it necessary to open my Chase online account and find out what my REAL online balances are.

Also, separately, I am have come to find out the the process of RESET-ing the account changed the beginning balances. That cause me a whole day of messing around, until someone on Reddit advise me of the random change to my beginning balance cause by the reset.

This has all cost me alot of time and annoyance. Hopefully, someone is working on or will be working on this issue. I can see it is not unique to me.

Thanks.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Thank you for confirming that there are no inactive/closed accounts causing this issue. Next, we're going to want to try deactivating and reconnecting the accounts. Before doing this, please backup your Quicken file. Please also note the Opening Balances for the accounts. They shouldn't change, but since sometimes they do change, it's a lot less headache to have the correct balances handy if you need them. Then, deactivate your Chase accounts. Once the accounts are deactivated, reconnect them by going to Tools>Add Account and follow the prompts. When you are at the Add/Link screen, carefully re-link the accounts to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

When you have completed this process, please verify if the online balance and reconcile issues persist.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 10
    Options

Okay, I will try this today

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Okay, I reset my 7 accounts and this seems to have worked. My current online balance is downloading properly, and I am now able to reconcile to the online balance… fingers crossed, Thanks!

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

oh, also the beginning balances did not change :)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

Please let me know if the issue returns!

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina