no cost basis and average cost per share

Options

For several reasons I needed to rebuild a investment account. I was able download the account from my broker and with few minor fixes evey thing is ok with one exception
In investing>portfolio one stock shows no average cost per share and no cost basis
The number of shares shown is correct as is current price which updates ok
How do I correct this

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you rebuilt the account, how were the shares of the problem security added to the account - An Added transaction? Bought? Placeholder?

Depending on which transaction, there will be different ways to correct the cost basis.

QWin Premier subscription
  • wkwallst
    wkwallst Member ✭✭
    Options

From brokerage download and a placeholder was added

• wkwallst
    wkwallst Member ✭✭
    Options

however, now that you ask, I can’t remember exactly how I did it

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A placeholder transaction will cause the share count to be correct, but have no cost basis. You should (IMO) delete the placeholder and enter a more correct (Add Shares or Bought Shares) transaction.

An Add Shares transaction will have the correct number of shares added (hopefully), but may or may not include the cost basis. You can edit the transaction to show the correct cost basis of the shares.

A Bought Shares transaction will assign the cost basis using the price paid for the shares. That too could be $0 or could be the correct dollar amount.

Look at your transaction list for that account and that security to see the actual transaction type.

• wkwallst
    wkwallst Member ✭✭
    Options

So you got me thinking…

I looked at trans detail and found there some share add/remove trans that should have been there, so I deleted them and now all is right with the world

Thanks for kicking my little grey cells

Problem solved, thanks for help