Bank Bill Paying through Wells Fargo

Options

Hi…. I have been using Bank Bill Pay through Wells Fargo. When entering a payment, Quicken adds a "Check number" Is Wells Fargo submitting a check or are they sending it electronically?

Usually, funds are withdrawn on the day of payment (today), but so far nothing has been withdrawn.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Each bank determines which payment method to use. It is not something we nor Quicken can control. If WF has the ACH information in their system for the payee they will always send the payment electronically. If they do not have the ACH information for the payee, they will print out a check and mail it.

In both situations, WF will assign a check number to the payment.

Generally, payments that are electronically sent have a minimum lead-time at the bank of 2-3 business days and payments that are mailed have a minimum lead-time of 4-5 business days. But if you want to find out for sure how WF sends payments for a specific payee you will need to contact WF.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 17
    Options

@alfried3 - when you set up payees with Wells Fargo Bill Pay, they will tell you how many days it will take for the payments to be made.

Most payees are set up with electronic payments that take 2 to 3 days to be transmitted. Other payees that are less common will usually be paid by check that can take at least 5 days to be mailed to the payee.

If you click on the calendar icon in the main window where payees are listed, you will see the number of days it takes for each payee. I always add an extra day just to make sure the payment is processed in time.

EDIT - after reading your question again, I realized that maybe you are using Wells Fargo Bill Pay from within Quicken rather than from your online account with Wells Fargo. In that case, the check numbers do not necessarily mean that the payments are sent by check. Every payment is given a check number.