How to make two computers share information

Options

My boss says his two Windows computers used to share information back and forth, i.e. an account on 1 computer would be on the other one, transactions, everything. Now an entire account is missing from one of them(the Windows 8 one). I checked to make sure they were both using the same internet. I have never used Quicken before so I'm at a loss. He has the Quicken Deluxe 2009 version. The Windows 7 still has the account. He's also had a stroke and a heart attack but he swears up and down that he used to be able to have all the information on both computers. I can't find anything online so I came here. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken uses a QDF Quicken Data File - much like MS Word uses a DOC file to store your content.

The only way to "share" the Quicken QDF file is to manually copy it back and forth between the computers…
    There are other ways using a common/shared network drive - but that tends to create corrupted data files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Flowergirl81
    Flowergirl81 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you very much. I found something on Quicken's website that says they don't recommend doing that because it can cause data file damage. That's probably what happened. I also found instructions on how to do it the right way but I really appreciate your help.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken uses a QDF Quicken Data File - much like MS Word uses a DOC file to store your content.

The only way to "share" the Quicken QDF file is to manually copy it back and forth between the computers…
    There are other ways using a common/shared network drive - but that tends to create corrupted data files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Flowergirl81
    Flowergirl81 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you very much. I found something on Quicken's website that says they don't recommend doing that because it can cause data file damage. That's probably what happened. I also found instructions on how to do it the right way but I really appreciate your help.