I want the net worth on cash and money market accounts.

Options
bfs
bfs Member ✭✭

I am using Quicken Mac version 7.6.1 and I would like to get the balance/ net worth of liquid funds that are invested like money market and cash accounts. I can tag the money market funds but the net worth reports do not allow to filter by tags. Reports also do not allow any filtering by security. Any idea how to get a balance of certain investments of filter by security?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Unless I'm not understanding something, you can do this with a standard Net Worth report. Just click Edit, click on the Accounts tab, click Selected Accounts, and de-select all accounts except your cash and money market accounts. The resulting report will show the balance of the selected accounts.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bfs
    bfs Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the input. This only works if the account only has cash or a Money Market fund in the brokerage account. Mine have other funds that are downloaded. I am looking for a way to separate them out in a report. Please let me know if you think of another method I could test.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Ah, sorry, it wasn't clear that you were trying to parse out individual securities within a brokerage account. There's no way to do that in Quicken Mac that I can think of.

To do what you're wanting, I would select the type of investment accounts you want in the left sidebar (e.g. all Investing, or for looking at cash liquidity, more likely just Brokerage to omit Retirement accounts), go to Portfolio filtered by Security, and export it to a .csv file. Opening the .csv in your spreadsheet program of choice, you can quickly separate out Cash and any money market accounts and tally them. It's unfortunately a few steps instead of just one, but it's still something you can do in just a few seconds whenever you want to see those amounts.

If you want to combine those results with any non-investing accounts (checking, savings, cash), I'm afraid you'd need to do a few extra steps: create a Net Worth report, export it, open in a spreadsheet, copy and paste the cash accounts into the spreadsheet you created for the investment accounts, and adjust to get the cash accounts in the same column.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bfs
    bfs Member ✭✭
    Options

As you say this is a lot of steps when a report could be made and saved if we could sort by security or a tag. Thanks for your help. I have also learned that I can label the money market accounts asset class manually. The cash automatically shows when you look at the portfolio view. By renaming the money market they show up separately so I can just add the two amount together. It is not as nice as a report but works.

Thanks again