Quicken Picking Payees

Options

I'm on Windows 11, Latest release of windows and quicken, I noticed Honey Hams when I noticed several over $300. I found this Quicken mis-naming payees as early as 2023. Using Bank of America, no errors displayed

I have 73 entries with the payee Honey Baked Ham (which quicken has named for me) however the entries are from various places. They have also categorized all of them as groceries.

Is there a way I can change all the (HBH) to the original payee’s together. Also, if I can change all to original payee together will the category also change or is it going to show J.C. Pennys and the rest as groceries?

If I have to do each one individually and I change the first one to J.C. Pennys is it going to change all Pennys payees category to clothing?

I’m becoming more and more disenchanted with Quicken.

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

First off, see if you've got a Renaming Rule that's causing this … which is the most likely explanation. Q simply doesn't make-up payee names.

Next, click the Gear icon in the account register to display "Downloaded Payee".
    Then do a FIND/Replace searching "Any Field" for the Downloaded Payee. Then, select the transactions to correct and REPLACE the Payee with the correction.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I find your first two paragraphs somewhat confusing as to what you are trying to accomplish but in the remainder of the post it appears you want to change a Payee? You ask: "Is there a way I can change all the (HBH) to the original payee’s together." but you don't say what you want the payee to be. If the payee is Honey Baked Ham for example and you want to change it to Honey Ham (or something else) here are the steps.

From the menu bar at the top of the Quicken register, Select "Edit" > "Find and Replace"

When the "Find & Replace" window opens, in the open window in the middle, enter the payee you want to change and then select "Find" just to the right. A list of the payees will then be displayed. In the example I used, if the payee is Honey Baked Ham, enter that name. (In the attached screenshot, I selected Reams as the payee.)

At the bottom of the "Find and Replace" window, you will see "Replace" on the left. In the adjacent window to the right, click the down arrow and select "payee." To the right you will see "With." In the adjacent window to the right, enter "Honey Ham" if that is the name change you want to use. Then select the "Replace All" button and all of the Honey Baked Ham" names will be changed to "Honey Ham."

The category will not change, just the name of the Payee. If you make a goof, restore your recent backup and try again.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

First off, see if you've got a Renaming Rule that's causing this … which is the most likely explanation. Q simply doesn't make-up payee names.

Next, click the Gear icon in the account register to display "Downloaded Payee".
    Then do a FIND/Replace searching "Any Field" for the Downloaded Payee. Then, select the transactions to correct and REPLACE the Payee with the correction.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I find your first two paragraphs somewhat confusing as to what you are trying to accomplish but in the remainder of the post it appears you want to change a Payee? You ask: "Is there a way I can change all the (HBH) to the original payee’s together." but you don't say what you want the payee to be. If the payee is Honey Baked Ham for example and you want to change it to Honey Ham (or something else) here are the steps.

From the menu bar at the top of the Quicken register, Select "Edit" > "Find and Replace"

When the "Find & Replace" window opens, in the open window in the middle, enter the payee you want to change and then select "Find" just to the right. A list of the payees will then be displayed. In the example I used, if the payee is Honey Baked Ham, enter that name. (In the attached screenshot, I selected Reams as the payee.)

At the bottom of the "Find and Replace" window, you will see "Replace" on the left. In the adjacent window to the right, click the down arrow and select "payee." To the right you will see "With." In the adjacent window to the right, enter "Honey Ham" if that is the name change you want to use. Then select the "Replace All" button and all of the Honey Baked Ham" names will be changed to "Honey Ham."

The category will not change, just the name of the Payee. If you make a goof, restore your recent backup and try again.