Inflows and Outflows by Category

Options
Gary
Gary Member ✭✭✭

For each category I want to see all inflows, then outflows (in the same or a sub-category) and the net total for that category.

My use case is to manage several different "reserves", for things like Real Estate Taxes, Vacation, and other large expenses I am saving up for.

The Spending by Category report only shows outflows. The Banking→Cash Flow segregates inflows from outflows, and I don't want to have to filter this report for each "reserve" area.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this

Sample report (also want ability to breakout by months, quarters, etc. as column headings):

Vacation: $75

Inflow/Deposits: 100

1/15/24 Deposit 50

2/15/24 Deposit 50

Outflow/Withdrawals: 24

3/5/24 Disney World $25

And so on for each high level category.

Tagged:

Comments

• Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I did try to create Category Groups, thinking this could help, but I found no way to show the Spending by Category report organized by groups.

• Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 26
    Options

I was able to accomplish my objective by using Category Groups and the Cash Flow report. I created two groups:

1. Real Estate Reserve:Deposits
    2. Real Estate Reserve:Withdrawals

I assigned both groups to a Category Group: Real Estate Taxes & Ins Reserves.

The report section looks like this (the zeros are because I am only showing the first week for this sample report.