R56.9 Problem after update - Planning tab (edit)

Options
GR2011
GR2011 Member

The software just updated my Quicken to ver R56.9 Build 27.1.56.9 (On Windows 11 Pro, 23H2) and now I can't open the "Planning" Tab. The program locks up forcing me to manually shut down Quicken. I had this problem with the previous version, but uninstalling/reinstalling took care of it. I tried doing it a couple of times, but it doesn't work. Have also reported this issue via the "Report a problem to Quicken." I'd like to go back to the previous version. I need the Planning Tab.

Comments

• DDuhig
    DDuhig Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @GR2011 and @DDuhig,

To troubleshoot this issue, first, if you haven't done so since the issue started, please try restarting your computer. If the issue persists after the computer restart, then we will want to check for any file specific issues. To start troubleshooting your file, please validate and/or super validate your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DDuhig
    DDuhig Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried all of the above with no luck. Try to reinstall. No luck. I changed a setting to have quicken open in planning. Made the mistake of closing the program. And now I can't reopen it.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @DDuhig,

To troubleshoot the program now refusing to open, please follow these troubleshooting steps from this article on when Quicken will not open:

Before you begin

Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive (such as OneDrive or Google Drive). While you can back up data files to a network, you should not open or run Quicken on a network. Ensure Quicken is installed on your computer's local hard drive. 

Step 1: Check if the Quicken window is hidden

In some cases, Quicken has opened but the program window is hidden. To locate and expand it:

1. Place the mouse cursor over the Quicken icon in the Start bar.  
    2. Right-click on the preview window that appears above the Quicken icon.
    3. Click Maximize
    4. If this doesn't resolve the issue, continue to Step 2.

Step 2: Restart your computer.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, continue to Step 3.

Step 3: Try reinstalling the update patch.

You can find and download the update patch here

After installing the patch, restart your computer. 

If installing the patch doesn't resolve the issue, continue to Step 4.

Step 4: Try opening Quicken without a data file.

1. To do this, hold Ctrl + Shift on your keyboard and double-click the Quicken icon.
      • Note: You will need to continue to hold Ctrl + Shift until Quicken opens with a blank screen.
    2. If this occurs, there may be an issue with the data file that's keeping Quicken from opening properly. Follow these steps to Restore a backup file.
    3. Then, Validate the restored backup file by going to File > Validate and Repair File.
    4. Check Validate file and click OK.

If Quicken doesn't open without a data file, continue to Step 5.

Step 5: Temporarily disable your anti-virus and firewall.

The anti-virus and/or firewall on your system could be blocking Quicken from running properly. They will need to be disabled or have the settings updated to include Quicken as a safe program.

If you do not know how to update these settings, please contact your anti-virus/firewall provider.

If the issue persists, continue to Step 6.

Step 6: Remove and reinstall Quicken

1. Follow the instructions in this FAQ: How do I uninstall Quicken for Windows?
    2. Before reinstalling Quicken, ensure your anti-virus and firewall are disabled.
    3. Reinstall Quicken.
    4. Reactivate your anti-virus/firewall.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• DDuhig
    DDuhig Member ✭✭
    Options

Got back in using an older backup. Planning tab still freezes program.

• GR2011
    GR2011 Member
    Options

I also tried the Validate/Super Validate and I'm still unable to open the planning Tab. Will proceed to the next options.

What I don't understand is why my application worked all this time, and now were pinning the issue to a potential anti-virus/firewall. I never had this issue until I installed the last two versions of Quicken's update.

• GR2011
    GR2011 Member
    Options

Very frustrating that I am unable to go back at least two versions so I can access my planning tab. It's one of the most important features for me—especially as a paying subscriber.

• wyndal
    wyndal Member
    Options

Same problem. Started after 55.9 which fixed one nasty error, just to break a whole host of other functions like planning. Did all the troubleshooting, including rolling back the latest Windows update. Still broken. It broke the whole tab bar.

• wyndal
    wyndal Member
    Options

Sorry, meant to say 56.9

• jonsloan
    jonsloan Member
    Options

I am also having the same problem with the latest update. I installed version R56.9 build 27.1.56.9 and can no longer open the planning tab. I tried almost everything above but was not successful.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not experiencing any issues opening the Planning tab with 56.9 and never have had a problem. To those having issues, have you tried creating a new test data file and opening the Planning tab?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

@jonsloan,

When I check on our end, I can see you're currently using R55.26. Are you encountering the issue in that version of Quicken? (To check which version of Quicken you are using, go to Help>About Quicken.)

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-9899)

Quicken Kristina

• DDuhig
    DDuhig Member ✭✭
    Options

I Am using r56.9 and yes, the problem still persists.

• wyndal
    wyndal Member
    Options

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps to fix the Planning Tab issue:

Restarting computer
    Validating and Super Validating data file
    Reinstalling Quicken
    Rolling back Windows Update
    Disabling BitDefender

Unfortunately, none of these worked. However, I was able to access the Planning Tab after creating a new file. I then restored a previous backup, and the Planning Tab initially functioned.

Here's the concerning part:

I entered missing transactions from a much older backup to ensure data integrity (a lot of work!).
    I repeatedly checked if the Planning Tab remained functional throughout data entry, until it eventually stopped working again.

This suggests the issue might be related to the R56.9 update. While it fixed the Budget and Bill Reminders issue, it seems to have created a new problem with anything related to the Tab Bar. None of the tools on the Tab Bar works, even if used via keyboard shortcut or the old menu system.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, I would suggest that the entry(ies) that killed the functionality are the issue or everybody would have this problem.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just installed R56.9 and I do not have any problem opening the Planning tab. Those experiencing this problem should consider the possibility that it may be a data problem. Validates do not/cannot find or fix all data issues.

To help determine if data corruption is involved: create a New (test) Quicken file and try opening the Planning tab in the New file.  If the Planning tab opens in the New file, that suggests that the reported problem is related to the Quicken data.

While still using R56.9, I suggest using Help > Report a problem, to notify Quicken developers. Plan to send your sanitized data file and your log files.

To revert to an earlier release of Quicken, see:

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just now installed R56.9. The Planning tab opened without issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tim M.
    Tim M. Member ✭✭
    Options

On 04/29 my Quicken Classic Premier updated to R56.9. That evening when I clicked the Planning Tab (which had the Budget function preselected underneath) Quicken hung. High CPU, no IO activity. Could not close the window. Had to end it via Task Manager. I found an old backup that had "Tax Center" preselected under the Planning tab and was able to open the Planning tab with that file. I could select all the other functions under the Planning tab with no problem. As soon as I selected "Budget", it hung as before. Validate File did not help. Super Validate File did not help. I had to hide the Planning tab so as not to accidentally select it. Interestingly, Budget Reports work fine. I can create a Yearly Budget Report with Monthly Intervals for the full year 2024. The budget data shows up in the report along with actual spending. It's hard to think of this as a data integrity problem with the Budget table since the reporting function can access it.

A week after Quicken broke, my SSD drive failed. So: 1) New SSD drive install. 2) New Windows 11 install. 3) New Quicken install (R56.9). 4) Reload Qdata file. The hang still occurs. Validate and Super Validate still do nothing. Budget reports still work. There is no question that the update introduced a condition that makes the Budget function hang when I try to access it.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Has anyone tried creating a new Quicken file (File > New Quicken File) to see if this Planning tab issue exists in that new file?

If the issue exists in the new file, then it indicates that there is either an issue with the software or an issue with the installation of the software.

If the issue does not exist in the new file, it indicates that there is perhaps some corruption of the main data file.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I forgot to mention this earlier.

The Planning tab has 5 sub tabs:
    - Budgets
    - Debt Reduction
    - Lifetime Planner
    - Tax Center
    - Savings Goals

For those unable to get to the Planning features by clicking on the Planning tab, it's possible that one or more of those 5 Planning sub tabs is still accessible.

To see whether there is any access to any of the Planning features; try clicking on Planning in the Quicken MENU row, then choosing one of the sub tabs noted above.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• nyirishman1877
    nyirishman1877 Member ✭✭
    Options

Everything above I did as well and still 12 days after the r56.9 update mess I still do not see the accounts. I even went to  Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. 3 times and no reply

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 12
    Options

When submitting a report via Report a Problem it is clearly stated that we will not get any replies to submitted reports. The intent of this tool is to provide the Development Team insight into what issues are being experienced along with some data that they can use to investigate it. The only "response" we will sometimes get is that sometime in the future the issue stops being a problem or the fix is included in a version update.

If you want a reply/response from Quicken you will need to contact them via Chat or Phone call during their normal Customer Support business hours: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

• Tim M.
    Tim M. Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried it from the MENU row and it hangs on Budget the same way it hangs from the Planning tab.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 14
    Options

@Tim M. - You might want to consider trying to down-rev to R55.26. I've read quite a few posts by others that R56.9 introduces a variety of issues for some folks, perhaps most concerning is data file corruption. For me R56.9 resulted in corrupting 5 different data and backup files for 2 different Cloud Account IDs. I was prompted to run Validate & Repair and then found that some transactions had categories removed and others had the categories changed but the real kicker for me was that in one instance an entire account was deleted and replaced by a temporary account. In the end, I could no longer even open those files, much less use them so I was not able to ascertain whether or not there were any other issues.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken with R55.26 did not resolve the issues.

I finally reverted back to R55.26 and while I could not open the data files that had been corrupted (because they were corrupted) I was able to restore the next most recent backup files (from 1/2 day earlier) and everything is now fine. I even ran Validate & Repair on them to see if there still might be some issue/corruption in the data files and there were no problems found.

Fortunately, all this happened with test files I use (I never update the Quicken version using my main data files….always only with test files first) so there was no real harm done. I've since opened and reviewed all of my other test and main data files and R55.26 is working perfectly like it was before (except for some Pending Transaction issues but that is a different issue).

If you wish to try down-revving you can download the R55.26 installation file from here (close Quicken before doing this).: https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has . Scroll down to and click on "April 2024". There will be a link there to download the R55.26 file. Click on it, download it, save it and then run it as an Administrator. It will then down-rev your R56.9 installation.