Attachment Sync Error

Options

Quicken Classic Deluxe (Mac), macOS 14.4.1. Error started after I moved installed the desktop program on to M3 iMac 2024. Every time I open the desktop program and sync, this error message pops up. I don't even want to sync the attachments to the cloud account anymore at this point. But even after "Disable Sync" and cloud account reset, all my existing attachments cannot be opened for viewing. It seems that the attachment cannot link to either Preview or PDF app.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

How did you move the data file to the new computer? Did you use Migration Assistant or some other method? Did you have the data file stored on any kind of cloud service (eg. iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc.)?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Kevin Cho
    Kevin Cho Member
    Options

It was on Dropbox.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

This is why we recommend never storing your file on any cloud server. The permissions within the file structure can become corrupted and result in this type of error. Here are some things you can try to fix it:

Do you still have the original file on the old computer. If so, compress (zip) the file or make a backup of it from within Quicken. Move the zip or backup file to the new computer (it's okay to use Dropbox to do this), then unzip or restore the file on the new computer. This should preserve the correct permissions. Then do not store you working data file on Dropbox. (It's okay to store Quicken backups on Dropbox.)

If the above isn't possible, try zipping the data file, then unzip it to a new copy of the file. This may restore the correct permissions.

Finally, you could try running the free PermissionScanner utility.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Kevin Cho
    Kevin Cho Member
    Options

None of the backed-up files worked via the methods you advised. I guess I moved the files around too much in and out of Dropbox across my three Macs (iMac and two MBPs) trying to solve the issue. They must have been corrupted beyond repair. I ended up manually removing all the attachment files (only 74!), reset the could file and synced them up all over again. Nevertheless, you pointed out the most critical part of the maintenance aspect of Quicken data file. I will never put any application data file on cloud sync server again. Thank you so much for your insight and knowledge.