payee names not being downloaded correctly from a checking account

jasonp_austin
jasonp_austin Member ✭✭✭

Looking at a transaction on my checking account online (at bank website), I see:

ELECTRONIC WITHDRAWAL / BARCLAYCARD US CREDITCARD

but when that gets downloaded into Quicken, it gets chopped to:

ELECTRONIC WITHDRAWAL

Quicken is only downloading the payee name before the "/". So this means I get a lot of transactions that look exactly alike. Why is Quicken doing this? How to fix?

Thanks,

-Jason

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta

@jasonp_austin usually everything after the slash should post to the MEMO field in your account register. On the Online Services tab in Account Details, check to see if you have "Don't update memo when downloaded" unchecked. Also, you can verify what is being downloaded from Barclay by adding the "Downloaded Memo" column to your register. You can add the column by clicking on the little register icon in the upper right next to the "Balance" column.

• jasonp_austin
    jasonp_austin Member ✭✭✭

@QuickUserPSP Ahhhhh, thanks for that tip! When I make that column visible I can now see the extra information that was after the "/" in the bank statement. But I never had to do that before, I usually saw the entire payee all the time. Looking at the transactions specifically from Barclay's, they only started to show up with "ELECTRONIC WITHDRAWAL" in the payee field since last month. March and earlier the Payee and Statement Memo fields were identical - "BARCLAYCARD US CREDITCARD".

Did some change happen in Quicken starting last month?

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 3

@jasonp_austin - I am really not sure what changed if anything. Usually if you see something in downloaded memo but nothing in the memo column, in the past, that meant you had the "Do not download memo" checked on the Online Services tab. The other reason why a downloaded memo doesn't show in the memo column is that the memo field isn't blank. But it could be a programming bug, but that is difficult to determine without confirmation from a programmer. It could be that Barclay changed the formatting of their update file, but again that is just a guess. But at least you still have access to the downloaded memo from the Downloaded Memo column.

You could send a "Report a Problem" to Quicken Support. You can access that from Help menu item in Quicken.

• QuickUserPSP

Thanks @RickO I hadn't noticed that Jason was using Quicken Mac.

@jasonp_austin sorry about that. Hopefully I didn't cause you any confusion. Some functionality might be the same, but most are not between the two versions.

• jasonp_austin
    jasonp_austin Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for more info @RickO . Though in my version of Quicken Classic Deluxe (7.6.1) it is Quicken→Preferences→Connected Services and I already had that checkbox checked for quality improvement. I may try the renaming rule, I think that will work (I have multiple renaming rules already so know how to do that).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.