Quicken Suddenly Lost Almost All Transactions

Options

Started up Quicken this morning (I had closed it yesterday after reconciling some accounts) and it installed an update. Once updated, it popped up the "Recalculating Investment Account Values" dialog. After "completing" this, it went to the standard startup view. However, it showed incorrect balances for almost all accounts (banking, investing, etc.). I tried to validate/repair the file, but it said some other process was using the data file and it could not be closed. I tried to restore from backup, but File → View/Restore Backups doesn't even pop up a file section dialog. Similar with File → Open Quicken File. When I attempt to validate (it fails as noted above), but when it "completes", all the menu items are either gone or contain minimal options, and none of them work. At which point I can't reopen the file without restarting Quicken. Which, of course brings me back to the same broken state with empty accounts and missing transactions.

I removed and reinstalled, but the behavior is the same.

I'm running on Windows 11 Home, Version R56.9, Build 27.1.56.9.

Has anyone encountered this or something similar?

Thanks

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 4
    Options

@sgsims - where is your Quicken data file located? The missing transactions, and "file in use" issues can occur if you keep your file in a cloud storage location, flash drive, external drive, or on a network drive. It is recommended to keep your Quicken data file a local drive (C:\).

To confirm the location of your data file, go to File→Show this file on my computer.

Other users have had the "Recalculating Investment Account Values" pop up, here is a good thread that might give you some insight with this issue -

I would also recommend restoring a backup from before the issues to get your missing transactions restored.

• sgsims
    sgsims Member ✭✭
    Options

It is located on my D drive, which is a local drive. C drive as it is mostly full. It has been located on the D drive for several years. I will review the Post you referenced to see if there is anything there that helps. Thank you.

• sgsims
    sgsims Member ✭✭
    Options

The other thread does not seem to be applicable. I deleted the original file to keep Quicken from auto-loading it at start up. Once I did that, I restored my latest back (1 week old) up successfully. Then I ran a validation on the restored back up. Validation was successful with minor findings. I wish I could recover my file as I had just finished enter data for the quarter and reconciling multiple accounts. Sadly, re-entering all the data will probably be more successful than calling the support team. Although it would be nice to know what happened.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Do you use the Web & Mobile features? Sometimes if the sync process gets disrupted or doesn't complete properly, it can lead to data loss and corruption.

• sgsims
    sgsims Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't use any mobile features. I do download investment transactions, but don't link CC or bank accounts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wow - really sorry to hear about your loss of data…. nothing to add -

Whenever I make major changes, editing a bunch of transactions, or anything taking time -
    I sadly don't trust Quicken - SO I always perform a manual BACKUP -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sgsims
    sgsims Member ✭✭
    edited May 5
    Options

Yep, I'll backup every day from now on :-)