duplicate downloaded entries from Bank?

Options

Hi,

Looking for best-practice workflows to avoid duplicate entries using automatic downloads from my bank. We currently enter checks manually when each is written, and a month later will see an auto download entry from the bank with the same check number, payee and amount. Does Quicken have a built-in way of removing duplicates? If not, what are you all doing to prevent duplicates?

thanks so very much!

Garrett

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 7 Answer ✓
    Options

There seems to be some kind of time limit involved when Quicken auto-matches transactions. I've had some bill payments where the bank has had to issue paper checks & mail them, and by the time they work their way through the postal & banking systems as much as 3 weeks has gone by before the transaction downloads from the bank. Somewhere in the 2-3 week range there comes a point where Quicken won't automatically match them up to the original transaction I manually entered. I don't think there's any way to adjust that to widen the time window, you just have to manually match them up yourself.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 8 Answer ✓
    Options

I agree with what Jon said. In case you're not aware, you don't want to delete the duplicates. You should match them manually. You can manually match the two transactions by

1. Dragging one on top of the other, or
    2. Selecting both (click one then command-click the other) and
      1. Right click on one and choose Match Transactions
      2. Choose Match Transactions from the Transactions menu

Quicken will auto match the transactions if they fall within the time window. You may want to consider downloading more often to accommodate this.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 7 Answer ✓
    Options

There seems to be some kind of time limit involved when Quicken auto-matches transactions. I've had some bill payments where the bank has had to issue paper checks & mail them, and by the time they work their way through the postal & banking systems as much as 3 weeks has gone by before the transaction downloads from the bank. Somewhere in the 2-3 week range there comes a point where Quicken won't automatically match them up to the original transaction I manually entered. I don't think there's any way to adjust that to widen the time window, you just have to manually match them up yourself.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 8 Answer ✓
    Options

I agree with what Jon said. In case you're not aware, you don't want to delete the duplicates. You should match them manually. You can manually match the two transactions by

1. Dragging one on top of the other, or
    2. Selecting both (click one then command-click the other) and
      1. Right click on one and choose Match Transactions
      2. Choose Match Transactions from the Transactions menu

Quicken will auto match the transactions if they fall within the time window. You may want to consider downloading more often to accommodate this.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • medlabsinc
    medlabsinc Member
    Options

Thank you both!