Vanguard - Is Simple Investment only Option?

LittleMasti
LittleMasti Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect my Vanguard 403B and a separate brokerage account to Quicken for Mac. While I was able to establish the connection, it seems like the only download option is "Simple Investment," which doesn't provide the level of detail I need.

Are there any alternative methods or settings in Quicken that would allow for more comprehensive transaction downloads? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 17 Answer ✓

Which bank are you choosing for Vanguard? There are 8 different ones listed. I think you want the one that's titled simply "Vanguard", and when you get to the screen where you provide your login credentials press the Advanced button and choose the Direct Connect option. I no longer have any accounts at Vanguard but that's what I used when I did.

• A Pensive Panda
    A Pensive Panda Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I came here with the same issue. Thank you for providing the tip to log in with Direct Connect options. I was already linked to the correct "Vanguard" login, but when clicking on "update login" no advanced option would appear to change from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect. The keyword is connection. It's confusing since the advanced button appears on a "login" window, but Quicken offers another menu to change the connection. Here's what I did.

1. Navigate to the account's Account Settings (You can right-click on the account to see this quickly)
    2. Go to the Downloads tab.
    3. Click on Change Connection. See the first screenshot below.
    4. Select the connection only titled "Vanguard." For me this was already connected but click on it regardless.
    5. Click Continue and follow the prompts until you reach the window asking "How should you connect?"
    6. Here you can change from simple to "Direct Connect." Select it and press continue. See the second screenshot below.
    7. Finally, this is where you log in. Notice how you now see a button labeled "Advanced." This brings up the aforementioned "How should you connect?" window that isn't visible when clicking "update login."
    8. Log in, and you will eventually be prompted to select "Simple Investment Tracking" or "Detailed Investment Tracking." Click detailed to get those transactions.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 17 Answer ✓

Which bank are you choosing for Vanguard? There are 8 different ones listed. I think you want the one that's titled simply "Vanguard", and when you get to the screen where you provide your login credentials press the Advanced button and choose the Direct Connect option. I no longer have any accounts at Vanguard but that's what I used when I did.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

this is from the Windows side - where both the normal Investments and the 401/403 type accounts are supported -
    Don't know if the Mac side is limited & different,
    but we have the Complete Tracking avail on the Windows side - Edit Account Details -

15103 15103 15103 Vanguard
    https://investor.vanguard.com/home/ 1-888-285-4563
    https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/ ACTIVE
    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO,401K&DIRECT
    INVESTMENT,401K&WEB-CONNECT

• Frank DeMello
    Frank DeMello Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I have the same issue. Currently running dual Windows/Mac. Windows has detailed transactions using investor.vanguard. MAC only gives a summary option. Looks like something on the Quicken side

• LittleMasti
    edited June 6

It's working for me now! I was previously using Quicken for Windows, but I've switched to Quicken for Mac. When I first connected my Vanguard account, there were many Vanguard options listed. I tried most of them, but only the one simply named "Vanguard" worked for me. It's been functioning well so far, credit Jon(above). Occasionally, I do encounter download errors, which might be because Vanguard restricts downloads during trading hours. Otherwise, everything is set up now.

• LittleMasti
  • A Pensive Panda
    A Pensive Panda Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I came here with the same issue. Thank you for providing the tip to log in with Direct Connect options. I was already linked to the correct "Vanguard" login, but when clicking on "update login" no advanced option would appear to change from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect. The keyword is connection. It's confusing since the advanced button appears on a "login" window, but Quicken offers another menu to change the connection. Here's what I did.

1. Navigate to the account's Account Settings (You can right-click on the account to see this quickly)
    2. Go to the Downloads tab.
    3. Click on Change Connection. See the first screenshot below.
    4. Select the connection only titled "Vanguard." For me this was already connected but click on it regardless.
    5. Click Continue and follow the prompts until you reach the window asking "How should you connect?"
    6. Here you can change from simple to "Direct Connect." Select it and press continue. See the second screenshot below.
    7. Finally, this is where you log in. Notice how you now see a button labeled "Advanced." This brings up the aforementioned "How should you connect?" window that isn't visible when clicking "update login."
    8. Log in, and you will eventually be prompted to select "Simple Investment Tracking" or "Detailed Investment Tracking." Click detailed to get those transactions.

This discussion has been closed.