Can't find most recent Quicken file after backup SSD device failed (edit)

Options
DonHolt
DonHolt Member

I used an external SSD for my Quicken backup and the device failed. Now the only b/u I seem to be able to find on my hard drive (searching for QDATA) is from 2021! Shouldn't there be a local copy of my files? Using the Quicken "Open Quicken File" also finds just that same old file. Help.

Don

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would seem all your backups must have also been going to the external hard drive.

Shouldn't there be a local copy of my files? 

Only if you explicitly made the effort to send them there. Below the "Open Quicken File … ", there is a "Find Quicken Files …" selection you can try.

• DonHolt
    DonHolt Member
    edited May 20
    Options

File options Quicken 2013:

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check under the Tools menu. They might have recently moved that Find feature.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20
    Options

so - you were using both the D drive and the G drive for your active Quicken QDF data file ?
    otherwise something would be listed with the C drive -

The FILE menu lists your 4 most recent OPENED Quicken files… it appears these were your most recently opened Quicken files.
    (backups are NOT listed here - unless they were explicitly opened as your Quicken data file)

So the "file name" may not represent what exactly that file is being used for….
    ie - you Opened a backup file & continued using it as your live/current QDF file -

And of course, your Quicken - Edit - Preferences - Backup - has both Auto and Manual backup settings…

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you should also be able to use the Quicken menu - File - Find Quicken Files -
    that will search your entire drive looking for *.QDF files -
    you can specify which disk drive to search -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DonHolt Sorry, I also missed that you were using QW-2013. Not sure if that had any version of the Find Quicken Files feature. Could it be under File Operations? If not, you may be stuck(?) with Windows searching for any .QDF files out there.

This discussion has been closed.