(How do I) Manually sort transactions of same date in same register?

Options

Is there a way to manually sort future transactions that were entered at different times for the same date? I routinely enter several transactions a few days ahead of when they will occur or post in order to track my future balance (make sure enough is in the account for what I want to do). If I find out I'm going to get paid and enter the new transaction on the same date as the others, it will enter behind all of the previous entries for that date (the transactions sort ascending according to the date/time they were entered into the register). This sometimes creates a lot of red over in the balance section when in reality, the future transactions are actually covered. Is there a way to manually sort transactions so that they are ordered by my choice (according to priority) rather than date/time entered? Thanks!

Quicken Classic Deluxe Windows V R56.9

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this is what you want but there is a sort by ordered entered.

You can sort by most of the columns in the register by just clicking the column heading.  Also you can sort by Order Entered, which is handy when doing a lot of entries.  While in a register, click on "Account Actions", select "Sorting Options", select "by order entered" should get you what you are looking for. Or for earlier versions click Options at the top of the register on the right side. If you sort by anything other than the Date column you might not get a true running balance.  So after you sort and look around be sure to sort it back by the Date.

To sort in Quicken 2013 or newer for Windows click on the little gear icon in the upper right of the register's header area. One of the options is Sorting Options and you can choose By Order Entered.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• TrunkMonkey
    TrunkMonkey Member
    Options

Thanks volvogirl. I was not aware of that sort dropdown in the settings list. It gets me much closer to what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure how technically challenging it would be on the coding side, but it would be cool to be able to just grab and slide transactions within the same date. Maybe I'll head over to the suggestion box and register my vote.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While not as simple as dragging transactions into your desired order, you can reorder transactions by cutting and pasting the transactions. With the Date - Order Entered sort option, the transactions for a date go in the order you pasted them.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.