6 years of data & attachments in .QDF file approaching 840MB. Should I create a new file ?

pjbondi
pjbondi Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Hello to all:

There is about 6 years of data in my .QDF and it is now approaching 840 Mb. It saves a lot of time to scan receipts, but I think it also makes the .QDF very large.

Should I create a new file when year rolls over? I use Quicken for personal banking, but my corporate year end is July 31. July 31 would be good time to roll over for me.

What should I do before July 31, on July 31 and after July 31 to roll over?

Can you recommend a process to create a new file with the same categories and balances, but without any of the transactions?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got 30+ years of data in my file, but no attachments. I would not consider a new file unless serious, very serious, problems existed.

While the visible QDF file can be significantly increased by saving attachments within the file, there is actually a separation maintained between the numerical transaction data and the attachments. As such, there is no performance degradation by saving those attachments.

My bias against saving the attachments within Quicken is because the only way to get at those attachments is then through the program. If you quit using the program, the attachments can become inaccessible. I’d rather have any such items in a separate readily accessible folder. My bias, personal choice.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

here is what the QDF file actually looks like -
    and as mentioned, the Attachments are separate -

Adding attachments to the Quicken QDF file is an interesting discussion…. I personally don't do it - but some folks do -

• Dave Hanson
    Dave Hanson Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I am in a similar situation to OP, and appreciate this discussion.

Am about to start a new file as a last resort. I actually came to these forums today to get guidence on how to keep two files open at once so that I could easily transfer over data from accounts I need to keep.

My biggest problem now is that One Step Updates are failing throughout my file. For example, my 12 chase cards stopped working with OSU, and un-enrolling and carefully re-enrolling the entire online banking profile did nothing to fix the problem.

I think nothing short of new file will resolve many of these problems—as much as I'd like to be wrong about that.

@q. lurker, is the main reason you'd not consider starting fresh just because of the time and effort it would take to transplant 30 years of data?

Anyone else facing / faced this dilemma, and how are you dealing with it? TIA.

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@pjbondi Copying a new file will not purge the attachments, so the file size will decrease by very little. Creating a new file is a lot of work for little gain, in my opinion. It's much more valuable to retain the history of transactions. Do you really need receipts and other attachments that are 3, 4, or 6 years old? Yes, some maybe, but I'll bet you can manually purge a lot of them. I did that some years ago and cut my data file in half. Now, just like my paper file cabinet, I clean my old and no longer needed attachments annually.

@Dave Hanson In your case, with your OSU problems, and assuming you've already tried the recommended troubleshooting steps, I would copy a new file and see if that resolves the issues. Copying a new file will retain all your transaction data (and attachments). You will need to enter and reconnect all your online accounts in OSU.

• q_lurker

@Dave Hanson First off, I think your case is different than the OP's. That poster was seemingly only concerned about file size. You are having apparently significant problems with FI connectivity and possibly other problems. You are much closer to my "very serious problem" category.

is the main reason you'd not consider starting fresh just because of the time and effort it would take to transplant 30 years of data?

If I were to start fresh, I doubt I would transplant much data, though I have not given much thought to the specifics. I would lean toward keeping the the older file 'as is' and starting a new file with fresh opening balances as of a chosen starting date. The File Copy sequence has often been suggested as a way to create a new file with all the previous file's categories and accounts. Copying as of a future date meant historical transactions would not be brought along. I am unclear if the current Copy process is still efficient in that regard, nor do I know how that process handled attachments. I might go the the extent of trying to 'transplant' historical transactions for current investment accounts, but again, I have not thought through that process. I am sure you have picked up at this point that there is no way to have two files open at the same time (on one PC, at least).

I will add I have 2 Chase CC accounts that have never been problematic for me in earlier Direct Connect processes or the current EWC+ process. I avoid giving advice on how to manage connectivity issues.

Hope this helps

• Dave Hanson
    Dave Hanson Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Thank you @q_lurker and @RalphC .

By "Copy a new File", do you refer to the option under "File" , "Copy or Backup File", and just export the same database under a new name?

I am puzzled as to how that operation would retain all the data without also bringing along the OSU bugs and other issues from the legacy file. I'd be thrilled if it did not!

• q_lurker

Yes, that was the sequence. While the accounts would come over, their connectivity is all disconnected. Even with that, I'd consider deleting the accounts and recreating them since they should be empty of transactions. The Copy should also bring over memorized payees, and a lot of other preferences you may have set. It was generally considered preferable to a 100% start fresh from a File - New process.

• retird
    retird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

To the OP….. if it ain't broke, don't fix it…. as said earlier….  I would not consider a new file unless serious, very serious, problems existed.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dave Hanson Again, if you've tried the myriad of troubleshooting techniques listed on this forum to no avail, then the next step is to "Copy" a new file. File > Copy or Backup file > and tick Create a copy or template. This will retain all your data minus the OSU account data.

Yes, if your existing data file is corrupt, then the corruption would be carried forward to the new copy. But, it's worth a last-ditch effort to retain your transaction data.

However, if the copy exhibits the same errors, then you have no option but to start fresh with a new virgin data file.

This discussion has been closed.