How to move Quicken 2015 from Win10 PC to new Win11 PC (edit)

OldtimerRic
OldtimerRic Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

I have been reading community posts and trying to get Quicken Deluxe 2015 running on a new PC. My old PC is running Release R12 (24.1.12.12). The executable for installation I have (which I purchased from Amazon in 2016) installs Release R4 (24.1.4.19).
Before I install any patches, I try running Quicken 4 different ways (Account with Admin privs, Account with admin privs (compatibility mode set to run Quicken using Windows 8), account with no admin privs, and account with no admin privs (compatibility mode set to run Quicken using Windows 8). I tried these different methods because someone said they had success running quicken with an account with no admin privileges and running in compatibility mode with Windows 8. Regardless of the method, the result is the same: after entering the QDF file password, a splash screen appears on top of the account information asking for an Intuit ID.

After running the Release 12 Mondo patch (from Quicken 2015 Patches
) and running the same 4 tests I get the following:

NOTE: Sometimes I see my account information for a second before this screen pops up.

Trying to install any Mondo patch from 15 to 17.4 gives the following error:

I'm not sure if Quicken 2015 and Quicken Deluxe 2015 use the same patches, but the lower patches worked without error. I looked for this dll on my old PC in the program files folder and don't see it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Intuit ID no longer exists. Now there is a Quicken ID.

Try going here and downloading & running the R17.4 Mondo Patch. You may be able to create a new Quicken ID. As you'll see on that page, it may not work but it's your only hope.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29

interesting - don't see a R4.19 listed - or your R12.12 -

Why not just use your R12 version ?
    or move to the R13 version avail for performing version migrations -

It looks like you might have started with the physical install of R4 at some point,
    and then the auto-updates installed various updates until R12.12 - which looks like a 2018 timeframe -
    That's when things changed for Quicken - with respect to User IDs -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ps56k2

interesting - don't see a R4.19 listed - or your R12.12 -

OP is talking about Quicken 2015 release numbers.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29

bummer - guess I didn't find the right stuff over on the Support page for Q2015 -
    thought all the releases were just numbered sequentially - but looks like only from a certain point in time - the change over -

https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Windows%2BRelease%2BNotes

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

If you get an error message that states, you need MSVCP120.dll while installing you need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable package for Visual Studio 2013 (vcredist_x86.exe). Which you can download from here:  Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • OldtimerRic

Thanks everyone for the input.

@Ps56k2 you are correct. I physically installed Release 4 when I purchased Quicken Deluxe 2015 and was auto updated to Release 12 on my old PC. So, I have tried installing Release 4 and patching it to Release 12 using the Mundo patch on the Win 11 box.

@Chris_QPW I installed vcredist_x86.exe and then was able to successfully run the Release 17.4 patch. I tried the 4 tests I listed above and get the same message each time:

Although the screen is different, I just want to get past it somehow. Should I try moving some files from the old PC to the new one (i.e. Program Files/Quicken or Program Data/Intuit/Quicken)? I noticed there are some empty folders in the Program Files folder on my old PC with names like Qui7A8B.tmp. Do you know if these were created by Quicken and if they are important?

I thought about trying to restore a quicken file on the old PC to see if I get the same message, but then I would be dead in the water if it didn't work.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@OldtimerRic most everything I know about this is documented on my website in that link about the BlankLogin (which is the one you show in your screenshot), but I will add that "temporary files" and the like aren't going to be what you need. If you have the Quicken.ini file from your old machine that is what is needed as described in the "BlankLogin " web page.

Also, I see above that you mention you were on 24.1.12.12 and that @Rocket J Squirrel suggested that you will need to create a Quicken Id, since you were using an Intuit Id with that release. To me that is a red flag that you might not be able to get around.

A new Quicken Id might mean that it will never work (but I would certainly try the workarounds specified on the BlankLogin web page.

Here is why I say this. What was stopping someone from getting a pirated copy of the Quicken installer and just using that?

Well, from what I can tell, for Quicken 2013 and below, basically nothing. But starting in Quicken 2014 the Intuit Id and then the Quicken Id was required to register Quicken. That implies to me that the "registering" is recorded in two places (the old place, the Quicken.ini file) and in the Quicken Id information on the servers. Creating a new Quicken Id isn't going to magically create a "registered" Quicken Id for a given version of Quicken.

The people that seem to have the "best chance" at this are the people that kept their version of Quicken up to date, and as such would have changed over to a Quicken Id at the time. And maybe just as important, stuck with that version/Quicken Id.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • OldtimerRic

@Chris_QPW Thanks for all of your help. I tried to edit the quicken.ini file; no luck. I saw the instructions to get the subscription based file running on 2013 software, but that's too much for me. I know many of you would NEVER give up, but I will pay to get Quicken running on the new box.

I found Quicken Classic Deluxe Subscription on Amazon for $58. I just use it to balance my checkbook. So, after the subscription expires, I see I will get messages to renew, but should be able to use it to balance my checkbook (according to their Data guarantee policy or whatever they call it). Do you have any idea of how often someone with an expired subscription gets all these renewal popups?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be aware that if you don't renew there will be banners taking up about 25% of your screen asking you to renew.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• OldtimerRic

@volvogirl Thanks for the information. If I can't stand the hassle of the banner next year when I start seeing it, I might try to figure out how to get my data into a file that will work with Quicken 2013 (or I'll just get a bigger screen :-)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry no. Quicken is not backward compatible so you cant open your file in 2013 or prior. What did you see?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• OldtimerRic

@volvogirl I didn't try importing the data into Quicken 2013, I just read the instructions provided in https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html and decided I didn't want to try that process at this time.

This discussion has been closed.