CDs remain after buy bond/sell bond transactions

kenpimentel
kenpimentel Member ✭✭

I have Quicken for Mac. Version 7.7.1 (Build 707.53346.100)

Several months ago, I bought a CD (100 shares of MERCHANTS BANK O 5.25%24CD FDIC INS DUE 05/29/24US). I'm not sure if I manually set the transaction to a "Buy bond" or Quicken entered it that way, but everything appeared correct in Quicken. I could see the shares in the account and my net value was correct.

When the CD matured, I had a new transaction in Quicken that was "undefined". I assigned it to a "Sell bond" transaction and filled out the entries (100 shares and the total value of the transaction).

Even though the cash balance is correct, the 100 shares of this asset remain in my portfolio and affect my overall account value. I quit Quicken and tried again. Same result.

I then tried removing the shares with a "Remove Shares" transaction. This initially worked. However, when I hit an "Update" and Quicken refreshed the accounts, the shares reappeared!

I've had this problem with all my buy/sell bond transactions and I know I resolved it in the past, but I can't think of how I did that. This happens every time I buy/sell a CD.

I only have a single "Merchants Bank" entry in my list of possibilities, so I did not mistakenly assign the buy to one asset and the sell to another.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

If the CD just matured yesterday, I think I would wait another day or two for things to settle out. It sounds like right now the bank is telling Quicken that you still hold the CD while at the same time sending it a transaction cashing it out. It may be that these things take a couple days to "settle" like a stock sale would.

• kenpimentel
    kenpimentel Member ✭✭

I'll wait a few days and see if it cleans itself up. I can see the older buy/sell pairings are correctly affecting the balance of shares and the value (without needing a remove shares transaction), so this may be the answer to my problem.

• kenpimentel
    kenpimentel Member ✭✭

It hasn't cleaned itself up and I still have these pesky extra shares sitting in my account. I have tried many things:

• Removed Shares: this didn't do anything this time, though it did work before (but stopped working when I updated accounts)
    • Changed to "Buy" from "Buy Bonds": no difference
    • Added Shares: surprisingly, when I added the same amount of shares that were in excess, my share balance went to zero, but the account balance did not. However, this no longer has that effect. It does nothing right now (does not increase balance of shares)
    • Removed transactions buy/sold pair: this didn't do anything at all. The shares remained as the account balance too.

Something is pretty messed up…

• kenpimentel
    kenpimentel Member ✭✭

There are no placeholder transactions and nothing in my memo/notes :(

• kenpimentel
    kenpimentel Member ✭✭

Here are screen grabs:

• kenpimentel
    kenpimentel Member ✭✭

I found the problem. I discovered "add shares" transactions for the security that were entered with a 2018 date - so I didn't see them. Once I deleted those transactions, then my share balance was correct.

Perhaps I should have waited a few days until AFTER the "Sell Bonds" transaction to see the numbers automatically update to the correct balance. I might have caused the problem by trying to fix the improper share balance on the date of the transaction (5/28/2024) by using "add shares" and my "add" date somehow was mapped to 2018.

I also did some experiments with "Add shares" and I realize that my timezone (France) means I can be adding shares a day ahead of Quicken's timezone (which seems to be in Pacific time zone?) This means that unless I make my "Add Shares" a day earlier, my transaction won't update the share balance in Quicken immediately.

This discussion has been closed.