Computer freezes (Gets locked into a holding pattern)

AudioRon
AudioRon Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

When I go to (automatic) update my American Express Credit Card or my Master Card transactions in Quicken Classic, my Windows 11 computer gets itself into a holding pattern displaying that continuous revolving blue circle; however, there are no problems when uploading transactions from my investment accounts. I don't know if this is important; however, my credit cards are listed under Banking and my investment accounts are listed under Investments"

Basically, it is causing Quicken to "freeze" whenever I try to update transactions with all my credit card accounts and the only remedy is to go to Task Manager and End Task. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem? ( I don't know if this is a problem with my bank accounts, because I do not use electronic updating with these accounts [for many reasons]).

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AudioRon,

You indicated that you can download your investment type accounts successfully but not your credit card accounts. Is this new behavior, or have you never been able to download from these affected credit card accounts? Credit cards, similar to bank accounts, are included in Quicken's "Banking" section, so that is likely not relevant, as long as you have setup these accounts as credit card types. Please double check that the accounts are correctly setup as credit card accounts under Banking.

Is this new behavior, or have you never been able to successfully download from these accounts?

You might want to setup a new Quicken datafile that includes ONLY these accounts that are having this problem to test whether the issue might be with your datafile.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• AudioRon

Hi Frank,

I am not sure if you received my response (it was fairly extensive); however, to summarize, I have been using Quicken with for banking, credit card payments, investments for approximately 25 years. I use most, if not all the financial power that Quicken offers. I have not changed anything within the software nor my behavior. I am too old to change! This freezing up nonsense started only 2 or 3 days ago "out of the blue".

I thank you for your suggestion, which I will try. I am a bit nervous because I am completely computer illiterate, but I will get a friend to help me.

Thank you!!!!

• Frankx
    Frankx Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again @AudioRon

Since you are hesitant to try my suggestion above without help, there is another approach you could try. Rather than download transactions from every credit card at once, I suggest that you try to download transactions for only one credit card account at a time. Hopefully, this will tell us whether the problem lies with one credit card issuer but not others, and then we can move forward with fixing the problem accounts.

So please follow these steps for each credit card - one at a time - and let us know what happens:

1. Open up the credit card account in Quicken;
    2. Click on the little "gear" icon in the upper right of the screen;
    3. Select "Update Now";
    4. In the pop-up "One Step Update Settings" screen - click on the "Update Now" button;
    5. Follow any additional instructions if applicable (e.g. - respond to any 2FA request, if prompted).

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• AudioRon

Frankx

Thank you for responding. The following are the answers to your questions:

1. "Is this new a behavior, or have you never been able to download from these affected credit card accounts?" -----This is a new behavior. Just started 2 or 3 days ago and I have been doing this for years.

2. "Please double check that the accounts are correctly setup as credit card accounts under Banking".------ My credit card accounts (the ones that are in this hold pattern) are set up as credit card accounts under Banking.

3. "Is this new behavior, or have you never been able to successfully download from these accounts?"------ I have always been able to successfully download these accounts.

Your suggestion kinda scares me - "You might want to setup a new Quicken datafile that includes ONLY these accounts that are having this problem."

I'm am completely computer illiterate and have no idea how to download just those accounts but I will ask a friend to help me. I hope this works.

Thank you so much for answering my call for help.

This discussion has been closed.