Finding largest gain/loss per day for investments

Options
MichaelCortese
MichaelCortese Member ✭✭✭
edited July 6 in Reports (Windows)

I was talking with a friend about investments and the subject of our biggest gains/losses for a day was. This would be capital gains+unrealized gains. Is there a report that will give me this? Or at least something I can manipulate in a spreadsheet?

I did do a cash flow report for those 2 categories only but could only group by week (not day).

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A Portfolio View can show you Day Gain/Loss. That would not include any realized gain/loss if you happened to have sold that day.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• MichaelCortese
    Options

Yes, but I would have to change the date like 3650 times to check the daily change for the last 10 years.

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can use the "Income by Security" report. Set the date range to daily and then include Realized Gains and Unrealized Gains. Then you can sort on the Total Income column.

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You didn't say you wanted it for every day for the last 10 years!

Looking at your post again I made the assumption that you were talking about individual security gains/losses but now I think based on your comments that you are asking for total daily investment gains/losses? If so, the closest you could come to that is to use a Net Worth Report selecting only investment accounts and setting the interval to daily. Then you could export to Excel and calculate the daily changes. However, this is just the daily change in the account values. If you added or removed funds that will impact those balances. Income will also impact those balances (you didn't day you wanted income)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5
    Options

I was talking with a friend about investments and the subject of our biggest gains/losses for a day was. 

and how do you define that - are you looking at the dollars or the percentage - like NVDA change vs SBUX change ?

Seems like it would be tough -
    as you would need to generate a daily report for your Investments Portfolio -
    and then have it somehow list EVERY day for the date range

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

just tried this - and used the 12 months - and sorted to see the losers :)

• MichaelCortese
    Options

If I set the date range to daily I have to pick a date. Meaning I have to cycle through every date for the last 10 years (or whatever). If I try to subtotal the smallest interval is monthly.

• MichaelCortese
    Options

Income would be okay (but I don't need it). With the net worth report I can do (I think) up to 255 days at a time due to the column limit. As you said, that would include withdrawals/additions which I might be able to filter out by category. This might be the best solution. Ideally a report that lists the days as rows rather than columns would be great to get around that limitation but I don't know of one like that. On report I tried (I think transaction) did show the dates as rows but it didn't allow subtotalling by day.

This discussion has been closed.