R56.9 Canada - Web Connect broke after last update (edit)

sheamuspatt
sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

Web Connect seems to have broken after the last update, to "Quicken Classic Deluxe" with the glitzy new splash screen. (Specifically, Windows version R56.9 Canada). Is no one else seeing this?

I've observed it over several days, and two separate banks (TD Bank and BMO). It doesn't matter whether I open the QFX file through the browser Download action or File / Import from Quicken itself. I've verified by opening it in Wordpad that yes, there are many transactions that Quicken should import, but it finds none.

Any ideas on why it's broken, and when I might see fix?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

any errors or messages ?

or just that the Import completes and no transactions are entered ?

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

No errors or messages - I just don't get anything in the Downloaded Transactions list on any account, when I know there are many unmatched transactions it should have picked up.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

I am running Quicken H&B Classic R56.9 Canada and I am able to download from BMO (Mosaik M-C) using Web Connect and I am also able to download from RBC using Express Web Connect. I am not using Express Web Connect for BMO presently because of problems that commenced at the beginning of February and have not been resolved by Quicken (they are apparently working on them).

Have you tried creating a new Quicken file (not just a new account, an entirely new file) and try importing the QFX into the brand new file? What is the result?

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

Good suggestion. Web Connect imports do in fact work if I do them to a new Quicken file.

I decided to take it a step further. I exported my QDATA file to a QXF (Quicken Data Transfer) file, then imported that into a new empty Quicken file, effectively recreating my QDATA file. Web Connect imports now work! Rather odd but it did the trick. It also apparently cleaned out some garbage - the rebuilt file is about half the size of the original. I've lost my UI customizations though, as well as currency conversion history (it prompted on every USD transaction for the conversion factor for that month - not gonna happen).

Thanks for your help.

• Arctic Hare

Given that peforming a export—> import process worked, I have another suggestion for you to try. Use the File —> Copy of Backup File —> Create a Copy or Template feature to create a copy of your data file. This file copy is different from a Windows File Explorer file copy. The copy created using the Quicken File Copy feature may have the same benefits you got from the export—>import process, but retain customizations.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

The Copy-or-Template scheme didn't work. I opened up the broken data file I'd saved, created a copy as you said (choosing all dates), opened up the copy and tried importing a QFX file again. Still nothing in any Downloaded Transactions list. It's very quick - it doesn't even seem to examine the imported transactions at all.

I also tried opening a recent backup from a few days prior, before I rebuilt my QDATA file, and saving that to a new QDATA file. That didn't fix anything either.

• Arctic Hare

Do you have mobile/web enabled?

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

No, I don't trust the web to keep my data private, and I've always had that option turned off. It's all on the desktop.

• Arctic Hare

Note that Quicken synchronizes your data to the web if you use Express Web Connect, regardless of whether you turn mobile on or off. The data is just not accessible if you turn the feature off. Perhaps you don't use EWC at all though.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 9

No, I don't use Express Web Connect either. I did try it at one point a few versions back, but it insisted I log into Quicken's web site to use it each time. Since I generally log into my bank web site anyways, it was just an extra step - ended up taking more time than old fashioned Web Connect.

Part of the problem is because it doesn't talk to my password manager, so I'd have to look up the Quicken password elsewhere, then copy-paste it into the Quicken dialog. Took too long.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

Still discovering more fallout from abandoning my years-old QDATA file for a new, rebuilt one in order to get Web Connect working again.

• Seems the import did not include the "Remind" settings on my Bills and Income - they're all set to "Remind Me" so I have to manually enter each one from the register window. That can be fixed up again, but I have several dozen automatically entered transactions - it's a bit tedious.
    • An investment account I had with a "linked chequing" account attached is completely buggered - doesn't Quicken support these linked accounts any more? All of the IncX transactions are now just Inc - the transfer to the linked account is gone. So, I have an artificially high balance. It's going to take some time to sort it all out.

• Arctic Hare

I've been there… in my case the fallout was so extensive it took upwards of 100 hours to make things work properly again. My situation was more complex in what went wrong and the process to recover, but I feel your pain….

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

Sadly, while it worked for a while, it seems my "fix" didn't stick. For the past week Quicken is back to ignoring my Web Connect imports. I won't try again - too painful especially if it's only a temporary fix.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

I think I may have finally found a solution.

Out of desperation I thought I'd give Express Web Connect another try, even though for reasons given above I don't want to use it. So I disabled Web Connect on my chequing account and enabled it for Express Web Connect. When I tried to run "One Step Update", though, I got an error "Online Quicken Service is unavailable". When it still wasn't working a few hours later I went looking for answers.

What I found was this

which advised that a sign out and sign in again. I followed the instructions, but was surprised to find that apparently wasn't signed in! My Quicken ID was blank. So, I put in my email and password and signed in.

(I was flabbergasted because Quicken has for several years now been insistent that I be signed in at all times, frequently making me sign in again for no apparent reason when launched, but this version for some reason is arbitrarily logging me out. As a licensed Desktop user I see no reason why I should need to sign in at all).

Back to my problem. Since I realized I'd been logged out without my knowledge, I tried to import the QFX file again. SUCCESS.

So, the fix seems to be to just log in, and Web Connect will start working again. I think they need to work on their error handling again, "keep them in the dark" is not a good strategy.

• Arctic Hare

Interesting conclusion and resolution. It is known that one must always be signed in… it never occurred to me that your issue was simply not being signed in.

This discussion has been closed.