Closed out Short Call Positions--why continued in Portfolio View???

jcoley2
jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 25 in Investing (Windows)

I have several short sale covered call positions in my Merrill Lynch brokerage account that have either expired or have been bought back. The shares quality therefore shows zero holdings yet the security position still shows in the Portfolio View. I have "Show Closed Lots" unchecked.

I also have the same issues in several Fidelity accounts where I bought a money market account and later sold it within the same calendar year. Again it shows zero balance you still shows up in the Portfolio View.

Anyone to fix this? Here is an example of a call position covered.

Here is an example of the money market account:

Tagged:

Comments

• jcoley2
    jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭✭

Any experts in here have any thoughts on how to fix this?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The security is included in the views and reports because you have a position (actually two positions) in the security, a long position and a short position. Shorts need to be specifically managed with Short Sale and Cover Short Sale transactions. I don't trade options, so I can't comment on that situation further.

For the MM case, I'd start by looking at the Sale transaction and possibly re-entering that. Looking at that position before and after that sale date might reveal something.

• jcoley2
    jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭✭

Let me try and go in and correct

• jcoley2
    jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭✭

That was absolutely the issue with the ML account with the sales of Covered Call. I had them "Bought" rather than using "CvrShrt" and change them all and all the zero positions disappeared.

As for the zero balance money market mutual funds it was a similar issue where I had inadvertently entered a short sale rather than a simple sale. Fix those two and now everything is fine in the Portfolio View.

Appreciate the help.

• jcoley2
    jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭✭

Moderators we can make this closed.

This discussion has been closed.